Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:09:45 -0500
Hi John ,

I read you post on the FML and of course was curious to see this ad. I
read it all. Being a former shelter myself I see nothing wrong with it.
The person is just telling it like it is.

We as shelter owners know far to well the poor reasons, and conditions
why the beautiful creatures come in. We heard every possible reason why
the ferret must go. I'm not saying every reason is not true, but you
can pretty much figure it out. In some cases the ferret should have
never gone to some people in the first place.

In my opinion she wrote it like it was. People need to be made aware
of how loving and caring the ferret is, but at the same time how high
maintenance it is. My views are (and these are my views) if someone
can't buy the proper food, cage, give the play time they need, and take
them to the vets when needed, etc., etc. then they certainly can't take
care and give that animal what it will need down the road went it is
very sick with cancer etc. But pet stores and etc will sell to anyone.
We have no control except to educate the public as mush as we can.
Shelter moms and dads see far to many neglected ferrets or little ones
that will themselves to die because the owners can't keep the ferret or
ferrets after two, three and even higher years of ownership for some
stupid reason or another. Then we have to step up to the plate to try
to save it, bring it back to life, and in some cases even have to put
them down. We have to find a very loving responsible home for them.
Many times the shelter ends up keeping that special ferret because of
one reason or another. The bills are out of sight and climbing higher
and higher, but that is what we are here for to save this beautiful
little creature called the ferret. Shelters everywhere work hard to
keep the ferret safe and well, and John Q public needs to understand
this. Man is his own worst enemy. It's not just another animal to throw
away. It's a fuzzy, cuddly, loving life the God gave to us to take care
like all the other animals out there. So as far as the post goes, I
think it is a good one.

I'm not flaming you, John or anyone out there. I'm speaking from the
bottom of my heart and my own experience as a shelter of many years.

My hat goes off to all shelters that work so hard to save, help,
protect, and place, all animals'. Please do take this as a flame on
anyone.

Mollie
Pinkie's Little Big Heart Rescue.