From:
Deba Brezden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 03:44:44 -0700
Hi Gang ;o)

This is gonna be a real quickie fer us . . . only our response to . . .
>From:"marie i. schatz" - Subject: Selling ferrets at shows
>I'll put in my .02 to support the LOS-NJ's position on not selling
>ferrets at shows. Very good idea in my opinion. Why? Well we all tout
>"educate the public" over and over like its a mantra that will fix
>things by itself which is doesn't.

We would like to point out this one definite fact, which we have seen to be
proven to be so throughout our 20+ years of ferret care and advocacy,

While it is certainly true that public education regards ferrets won't be
entirely responsible by itself for effecting positive change for our ferret
friends, and indeed, no one singular remedy of any sort shall be, (rather
our continual practice of all remedies is all that ever could), the fact is
that of the various remedies available, public education is quite simply
'indespensible' and is not an 'option' as much as it is an absolute
requirement.  It is, and has been for the over two decades we've utilized it
now, a most valuable and effective means of ferret advocacy.  Ferret life
today, is much improved from 10 years ago, and incomparable to what it was
20 years ago, and much of what has been achieved thus far is a direct result
of 'public education' efforts thru these many years.

Fertfolks often comment when ferrets are treated with prejudice and in a
manner different than the accepted dog or cat pets are, but the simple fact
is here, they've been in the public eye and gained their acceptance over
centuries of time, ferrets on the other hand, though their 'actual'
domestication likely dates back further than either dogs or cats, have not
enjoyed this same 'exposure', and as a result are still today barely
'recognized' and the average joe q.  public remains completely oblivious to
it's very existence.  Many, indeed the majority, of troubles which we see
still plague the ferret in our society, are either caused by or are
facilitated by, this very lack of recognition and continued ignorance.  When
we comment that, 'if that had been a cat or dog . . .  it would have been
different boy!' we are illuminating clearly the problem itself.  We readily
recognize a dog or cat as a pet now because we have been exposed to them
repeatedly and have 'learned' our recognition through exposure, so we have
through the years been 'publicly educated' about them.  While our dear
ferret has sadly lacked for many centuries, both those who'd be
'teachers'and also those who'd be 'students', in more recent decades the
numbers of both have grown by leaps and bounds, and it is vital, if we
really do ever hope to attain to the sort of recognition we aspire, for this
growth to continue, not just steadily,(stagnantly), increasingly so that
there is momentum in the growth, so it produces compunding results.

So, it's true public education alone can't fix everything . . . but

Without public education, we'll likely not succeed to fix anything.

As always, our prayers for God's Grace and Mercy for all.

Ferris  "Did that lady call me a weezzill mom? whatsa weezzill mom?"
and his mom
Deba Brezden
Director, IFRIC Canada.