From:
"Tara C. Radford" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:09:53 -0700
I'm not even sure WHY i'm writing this but several things posted lately
have me very upset.....

The crowning glory was to hear that Sandi has over 50 ferrets waiting
for adoption.....personally,and i'm guessing that's why Char didn't
mention her,i have always thought of Sandi as having more bunnies (yes
Sandi,correct me if i'm wrong,i'm sure you will:) as ferrets going into
her facility had to be in good health,she did not take in sick ones.
(that came from your mouth to my ear a few years ago)  But the fact Sandi
has that many is really upsetting....

The Shelters are FULL.I'm talking about Shelters everywhere.There are
wayyyyy more ferrets being born than there are owners who want them.I
know this goes in spurts but these spurts are non ending these days;(
One of the problems is most newbie fert owners have no idea the care
involved....Had i known the very first day Gizmo wandered into our yard
22 yrs ago i'm not sure we would of ever started....if we would of not
been home that day we would be in the tens of thousands richer,not rich
in that Special Love tho:) but richer all the same.He changed our
lives,forever,yes for the better....but not everyone is willing to go the
mile.This HAS become a throw away society.We all know many ferrets are
bought or given away when the novelty wears off (never have understood
that one,my kids are as novel at 7 yrs as they are at 7 months,maybe even
more so;) they are dropped off,thrown out of cars,left unattended,fed to
snakes & BEST case scenario,given to a Shelter... What then??  These
ferrets are not generally young & healthy.....the majority are middle age
and ill.I have seen the sadness.....many ferts come into the Shelter and
never get to stay,these kids are terminal.I have seen the horrors.If i
was a Shelter i swear i'd strangle many owners but their aim is just to
get that fert AWAY from the abuser (in many cases).Shelter Moms & Dads
deserve medals.I have been VERY sorry to hear that more than a couple of
our better shelters are closing their doors.Then what is going to happen?
More ferrets go in than ever go out;( I really don't think most people
realize that the medical care comes from the Shelters own pockets??  I
just can not imagine the stress...most of these Shelters have families to
support.How they balance that with their time & their Vet bills, i will
never know.When i visit the Oregon City Shelter we make daily Vet
visits.These are Gods Special people.

Plus.....i know this is not a board to discuss Petco,BUT someone posted
here a few days back that the kits not sold at their stores are sent back
to Marshalls & destroyed.I would like to know.Is this the truth??  I can
only Pray that person was talking out of her hat & that is not true.  If
this is true we must find out & change this.If anyone KNOWS the answer
please post it or mail me??  I e/mailed many people but received
conflicting answers.....

Thank you.
Tara.....

ps..Char's brain is very alive & well participating in an adrenal study.
Some of the 40 plus ferts she is caring for at this time, will be
returned in August,once the study is over.Bless you Char for taking the
Great care of these kids that you do;)) YOU get a medal,too;))

Join our Ferret Group!! Club Med Ferrets
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clubmedferrets
NEW! Go shopping with CMF, proceeds go to Shelters!
http://www.geocities.com/clubmedferrets