From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:39:19 EDT
::waving::
I'm from the day's of Meow Mix and Raisons, yes I am.  I owned ferrets
back in the seventies and eighties.  We fed Meow Mix and gave them what
ever they wanted for little treats..  including, yes the chocolate from
my easter basket each year.  I was nine years old and did'nt know better.
I only had a book (and still do) from 1945 that said to keep them in a
box outside and to give them milk and bread, etc,.  I didnt' go by that
book so much thank goodness.  My ferrets through the years never got
insolinoma, adrenal, or anything like that.  Gosh I never even saw
adrenal on a ferret until the late nineties myself.  Never saw a deaf
ferret before then also.  Never heard of ECE, ADV... abc.... lol.  It
was not complete ignorance either.  I knew of other ferret owners back
in the day and we neve saw these things.  I have old photos of my females
that are as large as todays males, and are very hardy.

I can't believe today, that the poor things lived on the cheapest of cat
foods.  I can't believe I waited for a year before I spayed my females (I
waited until symptoms were bad before I did so).  I can't beleive they
lived in a huge aquarium that was in the dark, in my bathroom under a
counter.  The ferrets had free roam in the mornings then once again late
in the day around dinner due to my scheduling.  Funny, that darkness was
actually good for them, and the timing of play was right on target also.
I can't believe I didnt' have a liter pan for the little things, they
went in the corner of their cages.  I even used pine wood shavings for
bedding.  But I never ever.... went to the vets except to give them the
dog shots, and then when they were old and had to be euthanized.  Pretty
interesting stuff.

In the eighties I gave them a better home and a better diet.  Still...
there were no problems.  I agree with Sukie, anecdotally.... I can tell
you I experienced the exact same things as she.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/