From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:09:41 -0500
This post will be a bit stronger than my usual.  If anyone has concerns
with my post, if it is personal, please reply directy to me and don't
clutter the list.

I'm not here to get into the 'what is better' feeding discussion, but
for the safety of the ferrets, I do need to bring up some cautions and
concerns.  Feeding issues are very controversial and very personal but
please keep in mind that for your ferret to be healthy and happy they
NEED to eat.  If ferrets don't like what is being fed, they may eat
little or nothing at all and harm can be done before one notices,
especially when someone isn't as ferret knowledgeable as others.  What
worked for one, might or might not work for another.

On a natural feeding list someone said it won't hurt ferrets to go
without food for up to 48 hours.

Excuse me?  Is this person a ferret knowledgeable veterinarian and
ferret specific nutritionist?  They said it wasn't hurting them to starve
for 40+ hours?  WRONG!  It can be deadly, particulary if a ferret has
insulinoma, is elderly, has an underlying disease that might be brought
out by the lack of proper nutrition, etc.  I've personally seen the
results of the DEADLY food switching results.  An 11 month old, beautiful
silvermitt died because her eating wasn't closely monitored when food was
switched.  She died of starvation and stress which resulted in a painful
bleeding ulcer.

Switching foods should be done slowly and with close monitoring, whether
it is kibble or natural.  A ferret's digestion time is about 4-6 hours.
If they didn't eat the 'natural' diet in 48 hours, that means they would
go about 42 hours without ANY nutrition in their system.  THAT in itself
is harmful and organs WILL start to shut down on their own after a period
of time.  There are other variable factors that will contribute to the
amount of time it takes.

Hastily switching food and the ferret not eating can cause stress and
ulcers, making the ferrets sick and cause painful suffering.  Imagine
depending on someone for everything then POOF all of a sudden they take
away your natural (meaning the food you are use to eating) food and
replace it with something so distasteful you won't eat it.  Let's see,
hmmmm... let's take away all human food and replace it with hmmm... raw
crickets roaches beetles... sound yummy to you?  Yeah, I know this
wouldn't be nutritious for humans, but please look at the point - I
certainly wouldn't eat a bug even if it was the only food source I had.
I would literally starve myself to death.

I don't understand how anyone can say they are doing good for ferrets
when they promote, without clear instructions and cautions, something
that can cause pain, suffering, and illness to the ferrets.

If one chooses to feed natural or not, that is a personal decision.
BUT, for the safety and health of your ferret, do the research, switch
slowly, and monitor, monitor, monitor.  If your ferret chooses NOT to eat
natural, well, then you need to decide would you rather have a kibble
eating ferret or a sick or dead ferret?

Please remember not everyone is ferret knowledgeable and when you put
yourself in an authoritative position, you are responsible for what
happens to those who take your advice.

And for those who take advice from others, research, monitor and be
cautious.  There are many who are false and may lead you to harm.

hugs to all.
Troy Lynn (tle)
www.ferretfamilyservices.org