From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 16:36:19 -0500
Good Solstivce tonight (Sunday) to all, and Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Chanukah,
and Merry Christmas later this week!

Re: Canada Film: there was some speculation that there might be some BFFs in
Waterton Park (next to Glacier for those looking on a U.S.  map) a number of
years ago, and of course, there are breeding BFF facilities in Canada as in
the U.S.  Was it one of those?  ( They tend to look more gracile, have
longer necks and larger ears, plus a few other less noticeable differences
at quick glance.)

Meeteetse is doing so well now that she can't feel her tail -- MUCH happier;
we don't think she'll miss it when it has to go.  You KNOW what we think of
the women who broke it back when.  (Meeteetse had been battered by women,
and Warp had been battered by men (took Warp three years till she'd finally
kiss Steve while he's awake, poor thing).  Can't stand people who hurt
critters.)

Hjalmar as kit used to cry if he wasn't cuddled JUST when he wanted it, and,
boy, was he ever loud.  The entire house would fill with,
"Wrrrraaaaaaaaaaaakkkk!  Wrrraaaaaaack!"

When heart disease is present don't forget Digoxin.  Many vets are leery of
it because it can be heart toxic, but when we had two with heart disease we
were advised to try it by Bruce Williams (probably the world's foremost
ferret pathologist for those who don't know).  One could not because other
health problems counterindicated it, but Bruce was right about it being VERY
EFFECTIVE and much, much less heart toxic than expected -- so overall it was
a STRONG WIN as a med for ferrets.  They used it on three of their's with
heart disease, including a 10 year old MF, with excellent results, and it
certainly did WONDERS for Meltdown.  If enough respondents could be gotten
it would be useful to see the life spans with different medical approaches
for cardiomyopathy.  Meltie survived a year and few weeks, passing away at 8
and 1/2 years, despite ventiricular bigemini and complications.  Also, don't
forget that as long as a ferret tolerates it the presumed "upper limits" for
Lasix have several times been found to not be actual limits -- with fine
results for the ferrets involved.  We've got a lot of heart disease info
available for those who request it.

Have to wake up TOO early tomorrow -- yuck!  Steve has a photoshoot; yep, my
ultra-geek is involved with a fashion magazine for the fun of it.  So
strange.

Sukie