From:
"Sherry L. Christman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 01:14:08 -0700
I am new to the list, and although I have been reading for about a week,
this will be my first posting.  Just some general info about me, I have 4
ferrets (2 males & 2 females) and they were all purchased at different times
over the past year.  Their names are Zoe, Mugsie, Kermit and Petunia.  (For
those wondering the references are Sesame Street, who knows (my husband's
choice), Muppets, and Looney Tunes - in that order).

Currently I am having a problem with Petunia.  I got her at a local pet
store about 1.5 months ago.  She is 2 years old (according to the pet
store).  They had no information on her and weren't even sure if she had her
shots, EVER.  I promptly took her to the vet for those shots.  She had
coarse fur and her back legs seemed almost crippled.  She would topple over
when running, etc.  Anywho, to make a long story short (almost too late for
that) we felt that she had not been fed a proper diet, nor did she have much
exersize.

My problem is this, she has a problem with nipping at toes and ankles, and
legs, etc.  It seems that she is doing this for attention and when she wants
to play.  Apparently her former owners allowed this behavior.  I want to
break her of this habit, but I'm not sure how.  I have tried picking her up
and firmly telling her NO while scruffing or firmly grasping her ear.  The
problem with this is that after she nips, she backs away (in the war dance)
and by time I am able to catch and reprimand her, she looks at me like
"huh?".  Some advice would be great.  If you'd rather, you can email me with
your suggestions.

Thanks in advance, and I've enjoyed reading the FML thus far =)

Peace from
Sherry, Zoe, Mugsie, Kermit and Petunia