From:
Katie Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1992 09:17:41 -0400
Chris,
I would like to join Nancy (and others, I'm sure) in saying
how sorry I am about the death of your sister-in-law's
Tia.  It is an awful thing to lose a member of your family
so suddenly.

[Incidentally, one of the more experienced ferret vets thinks
that the tentative diagnosis of Parvo was virtually impossible.
We'll see what Guelph says.]

I have forwarded copies of the recent newsletters about
the distemper outbreak to Karen Rosenthal at the Animal
Medical Center in the hope that the information can be
of some help to them.

I also dropped off copies to our regular vet, Dr. Robert
Harris, yesterday & he called me last night to talk about
it.  He says he has heard nothing about a distemper
outbreak in our area (South Jersey) either in ferrets or
dogs, & says he doesn't expect it would show up in the
vet journals for another month or so. Apparently he feels
that our area is somewhat isolated and says he feels the risk
to our 4 is minimal.  He did recommend that we contact the
pet store where we got Pogo to check on his distemper booster
schedule. (Bandit, Molly & Charlie had their boosters in
January). Also, he thanks the List for the info about United
Vaccines, & plans to call them about the Fervac-D.  He says
he had not heard that a distemper vaccine had been approved
for ferrets.

Bottom line is, he feels I don't have anything to worry about,
but I'm still concerned.  Should I be?

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie & Pogo