From:
Andrea Franzini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 00:31:29 -0500
hallo everyone.  please help me.  I have 5 ferrets.  my oldest, pookie, is
just under a year old.  while shedding his winter coat, I noticed a bump on
his back and to the right, like on his rib cage.  this "bump" is hard as a
rock.  I took him to one vet (evil Tall Oaks vet, in VA.  DON't go there!)
and he charged me $30 to go poke poke and say "it's a calcified broken rib.
I said BS because a calcified rib would NOT be a inch in diameter.  so, off
to my regular vet I went.  very concerned with its hardness and size, my
vet x-rayed and found it to be some sort of calcified mass that intertwined
into pookie's rib cage.  from the side it looks like a mushroom, the top
being cap-like with a stem-like bottom that goes into the ribs.  she
believes that it is one of three cancer type tumors: a calcified fibrosis
tumor, bone cancer, or something else.  pookie had a biopsy of it a day
after the visit to the vet.  I have 5 days to wait before I get the
results, but DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS COULD BE?  has anyone ever
experienced anything similar in your ferret?  I'm scared and concerned.
pookie is so young and is unfortunately a MF ferret.  I've had him since he
was 8 weeks old.  I don't know where else to ask for help.  Any information
or support would be greatly appreciated.  andrea and the 5 furballs

pookie- *drool* mama, this painkiller is gooood.
merv-  bounce bounce, I'm dominant till pookie comes back.
lucy looney loo-  I'm only a pound, but I can knock the shop vac over.
dakota- lemme just take the socks off yer feet mama. you've had a long day
        at werk, it's not like ya need them!
skrappy-  whine whine whine. ohhhhhh, a foot!