From:
Dave Burket <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:27:30 -0500
I have a 4yr. old DEW female named Snowflake that I adopted from the SPCA.
When I got her about 6 mos.  ago, whe had a spot on her back about 2-3
inches long from the base of the tail up and maybe a 1/2 inch wide that was
bald.  This ferret had lived in tubes that ran throughout the house.  She
could go all over the house but only in these tubes.  anyway the SPCA said
the hair loss was from being rubbed in these tubes.  I took her to a vet
that does exotics and he told me it was self induced.  ???  I didn't like
his attitude (pompous) so I took her to another vet that is really good but
doesn't see many ferrets at all.  She had no idea what it was from but
didn't think it was self induced..  I've noticed thinning hair (scruff
area) but 2 of my others drag her around and the scruff area is where they
grab her.  She started loosing hair on her tail but there are a ton of
blackheads so I'm treating her for that right not with Nutrogenas T-gel
shampoo.  It's working but her tail is almost completely bald now.  I read
a day or 2 ago someones post (can't remember who, sorry) their mothers
ferrets had nipples.  I recently noticed Snowflake does too.  Her vulva
doesn't look swollen, but it looks different compared to my other young
female.  I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this could be adreanal???  I
forgot to mention that she had a black button-like growth on her abdomen
when I first got her (nipple area).  I had it removed and biopsied and it
was just a tumor of some type (non-cancerous) I forget the name, something
like histamine.....????  I was just wondering what you other ferrets owners
might think, and should I find a ferret vet?  We live in the "boonies" and
I know of a supposedly great ferret vet in State College, PA about 2 hours
away that I would be willing to drive her to if you all think it could be
adrenal...I'd hate to make the trip and have her tell me its a bunch of
small problems unrelated.....although it would give me piece of mind, but
with my work schedule, I only have every other sat.  off (ugh!) :-(( I'd
take time off to take her though..  Please, any info anyone could give me
would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry this is so long!

thanks.
Pamela
Snowflake, Pepe, Pico, and Lily