From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:08:11 -0400
Dear Julie:
>Well, unfortunately, our newest addition brought home more than just
>love...she brought a cold with her as well.  Now the whole brood is
>sneezing their heads off and generally miserable.  They still eat and
>drink, so I know they are okay and not deathly ill.  And they still play,
>dook and dance..in between sneezing fits. :)  I recall from another list
>that ferts can tolerate dimetapp.  Is my memory correct and if so, what
>is the dosing information.  I certainly don't want to overdose my babies.
>But I also want to make them feel better.

I generally tend not to give any type of medication in this situation.
I only use antihistamines in cases in which animals are not eating.
Extralabel usage of cold medications to treat influenza (chances are its
flu, not colds) may actually worsen the situation.  If they are active,
eating, and drinking, I prefer to let the flu run its course.  It takes
about 2-3 weeks in ferrets, but it's not really a life-threatening disease.

While they may tolerate Dimetapp, it has two stimulants in it that we just
don't have a lot of concrete information on in ferrets, not to mention the
alcohol in the elixir form.

I'd stay away from extralabel use of this drug unless absolutely necessary.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM