From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:16:02 +0800
>From:    FerretMom <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: My 2 cents on the 2 Pole ferrets

>Gorgeous ferrets does *NOT* equal humane treatment of ferrets!  A
>beautiful coat or unusual markings does not mean that the ferrets had
>tender, loving care.  (That is not a statement about the Cole's!)

Nor that they are healthy - or genetically healthy.

>I have 2 Two Pole ferrets.  One ferret was originally intended for
>breeding stock and the other was culled breeding stock.  One has a
>beautiful, soft, luxurious coat while the other has unusual markings.  I
>adopted both of them from a "shelter" that took in surplus ferrets from
>Two Pole.  But both ferrets developed severe health problems at a younger
>age than any of my other ferrets.

And just recently on another list a person stated that they had a silver
panda from TPP that was stone deaf.  I have heard of a breeder that had
purchased some "foundation stock" and those ferrets produced kits that
were needing adrenal surgery by age one - the parents of those ferrets
were in need of surgery by age two.

As far as the rest of your post - well I agree with you 100%.

>From:    Dee Eisenman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Two Pole and Breeders bashing other breeders
>Ok, I have to ask why a negative post about Charlie Herring would have
>made it to the list.

That would be a question for BIG - not this list.
[You answered it below.  BIG]

>Another breeder posted something very negative about Charlie, and I would
>now like to know what Charlie has done that is so bad.

One person posted a personal opinion about another breeder - not that they
were a horrible person.  Just that they wished that breeder was no longer
breeding.  Not quite sure how that is different than saying that Marshall
Farms should stop breeding.

>Instead of throwing out blanket statements (which could be slanderous),
>please inform the FML readers what exactly she has done that has been so
>bad.

Actually - this is a very valid request.  Anybody that knows for sure -
please speak up.

>Frequently, I have heard breeders bash each other and it is not good
>business/moral etiquette.

Agreed that it is not good etiquette.  However - to speak your mind about
another person (as long as it is not untruths) is fine.

>I know several people here that have some of her offspring and they are
>beautiful ferrets.  No health problems, etc...to speak of.

And I know others that have offspring that are/were ill, deaf, deformed,
or dead after 3 years of age.

>It is hard to take anyone's advice about a breeder when they do not state
>what they have witnessed or what it is about this breeder that is so bad.

That is why you can't believe everything you hear.  Investigate it
yourself.  That is what I do in any situation.  Listen to others, get all
the facts, make your own decision about the person.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Two Pole
>To the other anon person - I too am very concerned about these new
>breeders...

This whole post proclaims my feelings as well.

>From:    Rudik Elaine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Kit and Caboodle Ferretry
>It is difficult to understand why the anonymous poster of 10-15-2000 had
>so many questions and harsh comments about Mr. And Mrs. Cole and the Kit
>and Caboodle Ferretry.

I don't understand how the concern is so hard for you to understand.  My
comments were not harsh - they were very valid.

>If everyone involved with ferrets was as personable and professional as
>the Coles, it would represent a vast improvement in the ferret community.

Personable and professional do not make ferret breeders.  Or breeders of
any species.  Do they understand genetics?  Do they understand WS?  They
have a very standard WS marked ferret on their website winning a ribbon!
This is PROMOTING that pattern!  I assume from their purchase (the WS
ferrets and other marked ferrets that they just bought) that they are
planning on breeding WS ferrets.  How is that good?  You cannot separate
the pattern from the drawbacks (deafness, possible shortened life, etc.).

>Yes, it is reported that they now have more than 400 ferrets, and are
>planning to buy out at least one other large breeder, but how can anyone
>claim that they have limited knowledge.

Because they were asking basic care questions at a show.  Because they
"came out of nowhere".  Because they have not bred prior and have bought
400 plus breeding ferrets.  Because they are wanting to breed ferrets in
TN where there are limited ferret shelters and knowledgeable vets.

>To the contrary, they are very knowledgeable and I am sure they will only
>continue to improve

Knowledgeable in ferret breeding?  I doubt it.  That is something you gain
by doing.  Books tell you nothing.  Other breeders tell you nothing.  You
can't know until you do it several times and I know they have not done
that.

>Why the objection to them entering 30 ferrets at one show?  I have been
>to shows where they entered around 40 ferrets and they handled it quite
>effortlessly and professionally.

When you have that many ferrets entered it really cuts into the competition
for the other entrants.  I would never even consider taking any ferrets to
a show where I have competition that slanted.  I can't stand going to shows
where the same people win over and over and I get nothing.  I hope all you
show committees are paying attention.

>They have been attending ferret shows all across the country, winning many
>ribbons and trophies and I don t think that would be possible it they were
>entering too many ferrets in the shows.

If that continues, I am willing to bet that entries will drop from others.

>With their resources and a business of ferrets that is growing rapidly, it
>would certainly appear that they could very well be a viable alternative
>to Marshall Farms ferrets sometime in the near future.  That would be a
>tremendous service to the world of ferrets.

IMO, large breeders are not a tremendous service.  They are mills.  If I
want to buy an animal I want one that is raised in a cage with lots of
room.  One that is cared about as an individual.  One where the breeder
contacts me to ask how it is doing and if it has become part of the
family.  One where the breeder really cares about the animals and not
their pocketbook.  That is not how a large breeder operates.

>Personally, I don t see where they have done anything to deserve all the
>criticism leveled at them by the anonymous poster.  In fact they should be
>applauded and at least given a fair chance to continue to be successful.

Of course you don't, that is obvious.

Confused and Concerned Ferret Lover