From:
Lara Tyminski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:08:05 -0500
Hi, just a note.

I stopped in the SUPER PET IN LONDON ONTARIO today.  Of course they had
baby ranch ferrets, flying squirrels, many exotic birds etc.  I was
speaking to a girl who used to work for a vet and she asked me how all my
ferrets were.  (I had my dog with me) I told her they were fine, and then
asked how long they kept stuff up on the bulletin board outside.  She said
Oh for quite a while.  I said oh yeah, well I put a poster up there a week
and a half a go and it's gone now.  Some manager guy said what was it for,
I said a ferret shelter - adoptions etc.  He said OH THAT'S A CONFLICT OF
INTEREST SINCE WE SELL FERRETS SO I HAD TO TAKE IT DOWN.

No wonder I only got 2 phone calls.  I was really mad and wanted to say
something nasty like yeah, I only have one of your ferrets right now,
someone let him go in the country, but he's fine now!  But I just walked
away with my free food samples.  I have decided that I will just keep
putting up posters every week and let them take them down if they want.
I'll keep telling people about the problems that can come of ranch ferrets,
early neuters, descenting and try to find someone to adopt my three
rescues.

This is a store that is in it for the money only.  The staff I have
encountered know very little about ferrets and the other animals they have
there.  The ferrets, if they are nippy ( and what babies aren't) are
sometimes put in a separate cage where they are not handled at all "Because
they bite".  I've seen Degu's with open sores being left in a cage with
others who attack them, and ferrets without water who were left that way
even after I informed the person 'caring' for the small animals.

I would urge the public to boycott the Super Pet Chain, including Nutrience
Food, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is owned by the same company.

As for buying a pet store baby....they won't necessarily tell you the
ferret requires further distemper boosters (Canine Distemper is 100% fatal)
and a rabies shot.  Calculating that the extra 3 sets of shots will cost
you $40 Cdn.  that's another $120 on top of the $200 you already paid for
the baby - $320 just for the animal.  My rescues are (if I spay/neuter
them) done at around 6 months, and have all their shots, are big and
healthy and are just $120, which also gets you a membership with another
ferret shelter, therefore helping me, Randy at the Ferret Aid Society,
and most importantly - THE FERRETS.

Just my opinion,

Lara Tyminski
FERRET DANCER RESCUE -London.  Grooming Boarding, Adoptions. In home
consultations available.  (519) 434-7546

Looking for love, Chloe, Elizabeth and Jeremy my little rescues.