From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:12:50 -0500
Just had to send a note.  Albinos, Spot (who is trying to reach 4 pounds
this winter) and Warp ( a smallish 1# 12 oz of muscle) are sleeping
together, and when I looked in on them he was on his back and slightly
curled while she had the front of her neck and her chin planted in his side,
both were asleep and HE WAS STROKING HER HEAD!  It was as cute as can be.

I'm trying to catch up on the FMLs by working backward.  If I say something
which sounds like I am unfamiliar with anyone's earlier post that's why.

Meltdown has raisins simmering in water.  Since she's off her food almost
(or) entirely now and today is also less interested in water we're trying
everything.  The raisins are to make her raisin "tea"; today she's turning
her nose up at Nutrical soup, Nutristat soup, a mix, and meat based soups,
and she won't touch any of the nutrition drinks.  She also has a stink sack
(a lunch size paper bag with assorted herbs to smell) in with her to help
keep her happy and I'm wearing two of her favorite cuddle shirts for when
she needs to be carried or held.  The only ways to get her to drink earlier
were to have her "steal" some of the water from my glass, and water from the
other ferrets' cage.  She's not acting uncomfortable and we aren't forcing
anything; it's a wonder she's lasted this long and we want whatever time she
has left to be pleasant.  Since the phone trick didn't work today Steve will
try working on her fluid and nutrition only while I take over all the meds.
This morning from 4 a.m.  she spent a large number of hours in bed since the
pressure swings with a bad storm upset her greatly.  If she continues this
way she WILL pass peacefully.

Mini's letter left Steve and I with several questions: Do you pass on most
of your ferrets at an early age (given 200 in 10 years but very few
mentioned there now), how old are your current ferrets, at what median (most
common) and mean (average) ages do the ferrets you keep for their entire
lifetimes pass away, the same for those who move on to other homes, and what
do your ferrets die of if you have never lost even one to illness?  Our's
typically live around 7 to 9 years, one a bit older and one a bit younger,
and one at around 1 year of juvenile lympho (We've had ferrets for over a
dozen years, and ourt current 5 are 8 years and 2 months plus a few days, 5
yr.  4 mo., 4 yr.  4 mo., 4 yr, and 2 yr.  6 mo.  The most common age beyond
which we see serious illnesses or operations are needed is after 5 years
old.

Noted that Bill Killian brought up some of the problems with herbal remedies
and holistic rather than traditional medicine.  We have a very special note
to add that: if your ferret has heart disease, especially cardiomyopathy, DO
NOT use such remedies.  Many are based upon things which will cause high
blood pressure, rapid heart rates, or erratic rates.

Sukie

Steve's Christmas card with music: http://skunk.research.att.com/yule.html

To see some of our ferrets past and present:  http://skunk.research.att.com