From:
Ashael Rave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:39:39 -0800
Well, I am an Israeli ferret newbie, and i have my fuzzy (called Fuzzy :o)
for only a month and a half or so, but i am already attached to him quite a
lot.

Fuzzy is a four and a half months old unspayed sable male.  I was reading a
lot about spaying the ferret, but I couldn't decide what to do.  lately
Fuzzy has a new play: he bites my hand/leg and trying to mate with it... I
am currently trying to prevent him from biting by catching him firmly but
gently and make him leave my leg.  I also tryed stucking my finger in his
mouth, but he keeps leaving my leg/hand and catching it back while dooking
in a second.  He bites less, but sometimes i cant remove him... Since
ferrets are not very well known in Israel, I asked a zoology teacher of mine
for advice, since i thought the bites are an act of aggresiveness .  The
teacher told me it is an act of a kit-playing and it will begone with the
time, plus the growing of the new teeth which will cause him to be less
bitey since they are less sharp.

First, i wanted to know if its a regular problem.

Second, I wanted to know if I should have him spayed.  My teacher (who does
know ferrets) is against it.  But i want to know how much it will effect his
bites and his mating problem.  If the bites are really only a kit playing i
won't have him spayed, but if he will be aggresive i want to prevent it
before he harms me or himself.  i love him too much to give it a try without
having a better answer from an experinced person.

2.  Beverly of the Jerusalem zoo, if you read this please e-mail me.  i want
to talk with a ferret owner here in Israel who can give me some advice.  If
anyone else have her e-mail, PLEASE send it to me.

with great thanks, Ashael and the fuzzy one.