From:
bill and diane killian - zen and the art of ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:31:14 -0800
>From:    Barbara Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mazuri and Ethoxyquin
>Ethoxyquin has been "outlawed" by the FDA for human consumption.

This is not accurate.  Ethoxyquin is used to preserve ground dried peppers
for human consumption.  It hasn't been used in other areas for human food
but probably as much because no company has asked to use it as any other
reason.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00119.html

>Ethoxyquin has been found to promote kidney carcinogenesis; it
>significantly increased incidence of stomach tumors; and enhanced
>bladder carcinogenesis

Could you please site sources?  Your information is VERY different from
the FDA's.

All the FDA http://www.fda.gov seems to say is that there is liver
discoloration and some rises in levels of liver enzymes.  Once upon a
time we'd found an article that listed ethoxyquin as an anti-oxidant that
reduced cancers in one area though might have been connected to slight
increases elsewhere.  Didn't find that this time though.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/fda/infores/fdavet/1998/NOV.HTM
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/fda/infores/updates/dogethox.html

>No way will I feed any of my animals including my dog and cat, something
>that has this stuff in it.  We all need to read ingredients before we feed!

We'd bet you feed it to your pets and yourself all the time.

Actual allowable amounts...

http://www.fda.gov/ora/inspect_ref/iom/exhibits/ApAMS9.html

  Ethoxyquin - FEED/AOX, REG, 5 ppm from use in forage crops -
  In uncooked fat of meat from animals except poultry - 172.140l;
  3.0 ppm (0.0003%) - In or on uncooked liver & fat of poultry;
  0.5 ppm (0.00005%) - In or on uncooked muscle meat of animals;
  0.5 ppm (0.00005%) - In poultry eggs; Zero - In milk - 172.140;
  150 ppm - In animal feed, fish food, and canned pet food - 573.380,
  573.400; AOX, REG, 100 ppm - For preserving of color in prod of chili
  powder, ground chili, and paprika - 172.140

Looks like humans consume it regularly in extremely tiny amounts.

>Makes you wonder why, now doesn't it???!!

Because they don't want to deal with trying to stamp out misinformation?
Its easier to change formulas that fight rumors?

Nope.  We don't wonder about it at all.

>From:    "Miller,Dwayne" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Male Ferret Rut?
>What time of year will a male (intact) ferret go into rut?

Now.  Winter solstice tends to be about the start of male rut.  Most should
be in now.  Or in real soon.  The jills should be going in as well -
usually a month after the males.

Of course in the Southern hemisphere this si summer and their ferrets are
on vacation from mating.  (Mostly)

>Also, should he be kept apart from other ferrets during said time?

Probably.  You will have to judge his aggresion level to potential roomies.
If he isn't harrassing them, then they can stay together.  Don't be too
optimistic.

b&d
--
bill and diane killian