From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 21:23:48 +0000
Does anyone know where I could find an actual study, report, analysis,
anything on the effects of cat food in ferrets??  Or also, the same with
dog food or substandard (i.e. crappy) kitten and ferret foods??  Not just
a nutritional type analysis but a medical pathology type report?

In the past 6 months, I have seen:
- 7 ferrets come into rescue.
- 1 was just under 3 years old, the rest all over 4.
- ALL of them had been fed either cat food, grocery store brand kitten
  food or one of the lower quality/low protein ferrets foods.
- ALL of them have either died or are dying from kidney problems. Many of
  them complicated by various stomach problems.
- Necropsies have found bright orange livers, ulcers etc.

I also saw one of my own ferrets who was a champagne get in a bad
situation, was fed a bad cat food for 3 months before I was able to get
him back.  When he returned, his coat was a sick orange color.  Being back
on a normal diet, it shed out and his normal coat is returning.

I can NOT believe this is a coincidence.... I firmly believe with all my
hear that substandard diet caused liver damage.... most ferret folk I know
agree with that..  even my vet agrees and writes a comment about the cat
food on the necropsy reports.

But with all of that, I STILL deal with people on a regular basis who
insist cat food is fine for ferrets... we even have a vet in town that
tells people that.  Some people will listen, others want proof...
especially the vet.

Can anyone help me find proof???