From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:56:03 -0500
I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth on the topic, as this is
something I've had to do a few times.  I think it is sometimes a very
necessary procedure if you have a ferret that has stopped eating.  Yes,
it has its dangers, but if you use good old common sense, they can be
avoided, at least most of the time.

My first experience with forced feeding was with a tiny little girl named
Tigger.  She had developed an adrenal tumor, but had no fur loss at all.
In fact, the only symptom she had was that she quit eating, and as a
result got very weak.  I rushed her to the vet thinking she might have a
blockage, but it turned out to be an adrenal tumor.  Apparently, all the
hormones it was releasing made her nauseated, (think morning sickness for
pregnant women).  She came through her surgery fine, but still wouldn't
eat.  It took a while for the hormone levels to come back to normal.  I
knew if she were to survive, I would have to do something.  So I made her
"duck soup", but she wouldn't touch it.  So I resorted to forced feeding.
She would squirm and try to get away when I would try to get her to eat.
So I scruffed her, but held her so that her head was leaning forward, not
back.  Then I used a small syringe to put drops of the soup in the front
of her mouth.  It was a very slow trickle.  I discovered that once it got
in her mouth, she would swallow it.  Yes, she dribbled and made quite a
mess, but I just put the soup container under chin, so that most of the
dripping fell back into the container.  By doing this, I got her to eat
enough to survive and get some of her strength back.  After a couple of
days, she decided that she actually liked the soup and started eating it
willingly.  She liked it so well that I had a difficult time getting her
to go back to her normal food.  I later had to do the same with my other
2 ferrets when they got sick.  I've yet to have one aspirate anything,
but I always tilt their heads forward.  That way if something isn't
swallowed it just drips out as opposed to choking them.  Maybe this
method doesn't work for all ferrets, but it has worked pretty well for
me so far.  So I thought I would share it with everyone.

Holly
Icarus & Cato