From:
Latas Kimberly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:07:39 -0600
Hope everybody's having a good day so far!

My comments today concern 'packing peanuts'.  I'd noticed my three
ferrets trying to enjoy a crunchy bite of Styrofoam now and then so I
went and paid (what seems like quite a bit of money) for those digestible
cornstarch units they sell at the ferretstore online.  I think it was ten
bucks for a sturdy box and the peanuts~ sold as a kit.  There isn't an
overabundance of peanuts in the box, but there's enough to properly 'bury'
one good sized ferret if only one ferret is playing in the box at a time.

Actually, the box itself was was pretty tiny, so hubby and I just dumped
the peanuts into the mailing box that surrounded the 'item' when it
arrived and that box seems big enough.

We've had the playbox of peanuts for about three months now, and while
we've NEVER actually seen any of the ferrets eating them deliberately, or
stashing them we  *have* noticed a drastic reduction in the level of
peanuts in the box over the course of time.  My point is: those peanuts
don't dissolve without some kind of moisture getting onto them, ergo: they
(ferts) *are* mouthing them even though us humans don't *see* them being
eaten!  I assume that anyone who uses regular Styrofoam peanuts is just
CREATING AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A BAD ACCIDENT TO HAPPEN.  because the ferrets
WILL be putting them in their mouths.  No question about it!

The little guys will climb in and out of the box at will and seem to
really enjoy it when I hide a yogi or a bandit in there for them to
discover.  My husband got a little upset when he found I was hiding food
in there for them to find, because on a gut level he worries that even
cornstarch might cause a blockage and he's a nervous wreck when the
fuzzy's are in there.  (I've eaten a couple myself just to be sure they
actually DO melt and they're not *quite* as tasty as eating kindergarden
paste, but they're not bad! *grin*)

I'm glad to read that these digestible peanuts are available 'in bulk' and
sure wish the entire shipping industry would switch over to using them.
(I never have figured out why science invented a product that will last
for a hundred years in a landfill and then in our infinite wisdom we
humans primarily make 'one time use' items out of it!)  I'm going to go
right now in search of bulk-refill peanuts so my guys can have more
riotous fun!  If it weren't for FML information I'd have probably gone
and ordered the kit again, so I thank you all for the good savings tip!
Keep it coming BIG... !!

--- Latas Kimberly