From:
Melanie Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:05:31 -0400
My 4 year old boy, Cassidy, was diagnosed with insulinoma around halloween.
He had surgery in Dec. but nothing could be found so now he is on pred and
duck soup.  He is acting fine and hasn't had any problems since he started
the pred.  Last night I noticed that he has a small patch of hair missing
about half-way down his back on one side.  It is about the size of a
quarter and it seems to have a few black hairs growing in it (he is a light
chocolate).  The skin in the area doesn't look irritated.  If it were
adrenals would it look irritated?  His hair has hardly grown back at all
since his surgery and when he had surgery once before it didn't take this
long.  I am worried because I know that adrenal problems often go hand in
hand with insulinoma.  In Dec.  when he had surgery the vet said that
everything looked fine including adrenals.  If they were fine in Dec. could
his hair loss be to adrenals this soon?  Does this happen during a normal
coat change and I am just being paranoid?  Last year his coat didn't change
until May (we are in NC).  Could it be starting earlier this year?  My
female isn't showing any signs of shedding yet.  I would appreciate any
ideas.

Thanks,
Melanie (the paranoid ferret mom)