From:
Lindley A Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 13:04:51 -0600
I just wanted to let everyone know how we are treating Idgie--remember
lots of diarrhea but no vomiting and always eating and drinking.  I took
her to this vet--whom I thought, mistakenly, wouldn't know much about
ferrets--and he gave her a complete work over.  He was great.  He talked
about all the possibilities, was very gentle with her (and mind you she
was a *very* good girl) and tolerated all my questions and comments about
and from the FAQ.  He found no parasites in her stool sample and she had
not lost any weight from her June 5 vacination weight.  He put her on
metronidazole for secondary infections and gave me a nonallergenic food
(KenVet Nutritional Care Feline Veterinarian Diet, Specialized Protein).
He thought we should try this first to see if it was an allergic reaction
to her food or a sensitive or ineffecient digestive system-both of which
might have developed since she had that duodenal ulcer back in 94
(especially since she has had the seedy stool ever since the ulcer).  WE
are going to see how this goes before we start chasing anything else
down, like lymphosarcoma or gastroentiritis.  I was very pleased with
him.  He was interested in the FAQ and I left him with a copy of the
Mini-Faq.  The best part is Idgie's stool immediately firmed up and looks
almost normal.  I give her .25 cc of the medicine and then give her the
food in the duck soup twice a day.  She also has the dry food in her bowl
but she doesn't much like it.  She has been picking out the Iams since I was
trying the slow switch again--just isn't going to work I don't think.  She
can't have her treats since we are testing for the food allergy so she gets
a tiny bit of linatone each day.  Her activity level has picked back up, so
now I know she *had* gotten a little slower.  She has been a very good girl
about taking her very *bitter* medicine mixed with yogurt in a syringe.  I
know this may not be the end of the problem but at least for now she is
doing much better.  I thought this might help someone else down the
line--my excuse for the long post.

One last, and cute story about all this.  When I brought her home from the
vet I left her in the carrier (large one with a hammie) so she could rest and
I wouldn't have to worry about her getting into Lisa's Iams.  Well that
night when Lisa got Idgie was still asleep.  Well Lisa wouldn't not leave
their room because the carrier was on the bed.  I went in there to check
on them and Lisa was just layed out in from of the carrier door looking
at Idgie and dooking quietly like, "idgie, what's wrong, wake up, don't
you want to come out".  It was sooooo sweet and Lisa just looked at me
when I came in like, "mom, what's wrong with my wrestling buddy".  Lisa
finally succeeded in waking Idgie up and they playing for awhile before I
made them go to bed early for Idgie's sake.  Anyway, these little
fuzzballs never fail to amaze me just how social they are, makes me worry
about what will happen when I do lose one of them....
Hope all the little sick munchkins out there start feeling better as
quick as Idgie did.  Thanks to all that responded to me directly for
advice, and most of all thanks again for the FAQ--it is very reassuring
to be able to know what the heck the vet is talking about AND to know
that the vet has checked or at least knowledgeable of all the possible
problems.
Lindy (You guys are soooooo cute and sweet)
Idgie (What he H*&%L is that stuff you are sticking down my throat, in
that syrine, but yumacious on the milky looking stuff)
Lisa (Oh god, Idgie is back to normal and WILL NOT quit chasing and
wrestling me even when I am tired and hissing)