Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:28:37 EDT
Hello everyone,

Our ferret bill, SB 1093 has been in the suspense file since this time
last year.  We were hoping that it would be resurrected and go to the
Governor's desk but unfortunately Senator Alpert's office just contacted
me to say that they were unable to get our ferret bill off suspense this
legislative session.  SB 1093 is officially dead, or will be this year.

Senator Alpert has promised to introduce another ferret grandfathering
bill next session and I hope those of you in her San Diego district will
write and thank her for her efforts this year and for her promise to
introduce a new bill next year.

The California legislative session ends August 31st.  Most legislators
will be returning to their districts for the break but some will be
campaigning for re-election.  The months of September through November,
but particularly late September and all of October are important months
for YOU to become involved in this issue.  It's going to be entirely up
to you whether or not we see ferrets legalized in CA in the future.

If you have not written to your State Senator AND State Assemblymember,
you should do so immediately.  Your letter should be short, no longer
than a few paragraphs.  The main points to highlight are that ferrets are
DOMESTICATED ANIMALS that don't belong in the hands of a WILDLIFE agency,
the Department of Fish and Game.  You should also note that domesticated
ferrets are safer to the environment and to people than are domesticated
cats and dogs and there is no reason for one state on the continent to
ban them as California does.  This law is unworkable, unfair and
unenforceable.  If you have already written to your State Senator and
State Assemblymember, but it's been longer than 6 months, write again!

It's also very important for those of you who have never met with your
State Senator and Assemblymember, to take this time (but do wait until
mid Sept.  when the session has ended and they are back in their
districts) to make an appointment.  It's their job to hear directly from
their constituents and a face to face meeting is an excellent way to
communicate your desire to see ferrets legalized in California soon.

A district meeting is something far too many people overlook.  My father
and I have met with both of our representatives and you can and should
too.  Even if you are unable to meet with your legislator in person due
to his/her time constraints, you can meet with an aide in the district
and voice your concerns.  A district meeting conveys to your legislators
that you care about this issue.  If you just write once and never follow
up with another letter and a district meeting, you're not communicating
very well and are in fact implying that you don't care about ferret
legalization.  Even if your legislator supports legalization, you can ask
him or her to co-author the next bill!  There's always more a legislator
can do to move a bill.

To find out who represents you, visit our website, www.ferretnews.org and
click on Legislators - Know your local California representative.  Then
enter your zip code.  You should have one State Senator and one State
Assemblymember.  If more than one State Senator or Assemblymember shows
up then your zip code is split and you will have to contact your county
Registrar of Voters.  Simply dial 411 and ask for that office.  They will
need your address and then can tell you exactly who represents you.

If you need more help to write your letter, click on Facts - Know your
Facts and Fictions.  Remember to keep your letter to just one page
though.  Keeping it short means it will be read.  Long letters are not.
Also, be sure to include your name and address in your letter so your
representative knows you are a constituent.  You have absolutely nothing
to fear from including your name and address on a letter to your
representative.  Supporting a ferret bill does not mean you own one and
no judge would issue a search warrant on that basis!

If you live in California and haven't written to your representatives
because you didn't realize you needed to, or are new to this issue,
please do so now and follow through again in a few months with another
letter and a visit.  Take note of the races coming up in your district
and ask the candidates where they stand.  Make them aware of your
interest in ferret legalization.  Now is the time to influence those
running for office-- it's much harder once they're elected.

If you are one of those folks that just prefers to follow along and have
for the last year without writing, you should know that you haven't
helped ferret legalization, in fact you've hurt this issue because only
you can affect your state legislator's vote.  It also hurts the issue
because the many that have worked hard on this bill can and will become
disillusioned.  You need to do your part if you want to see ferrets
legalized anytime soon.

Sorry for the bad news everyone.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
http://www.ferretnews.org
The Ferret Company
http://www.ferretcompany.com

OF SPECIAL NOTE: The Ferret Calendar 2003 will not be sold in any stores
this year.  To avoid missing out on your copy of this award-winning
ferret calendar, contact The Ferret Company to place your order
([log in to unmask]).  The Ferret Calendar 2003 will be available
in late June 2002.