From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 21:50:36 -0500
Dear Kate:

>and she was worse walking low to the floor but dropping one to two feet
>and like sleeping or resting for three to five minutes.  On Thursday, I
>took her to our exotic vet.  and she did x-rays on her and CBC, and all
>were clear.  No spinal injuries, glucose was normal, etc.  We waited until
>yesterday...Saturday for the white blood count and it came back very
>high...Im sorry I have no figures...But now she just crawls from toy to
>toy and hasnt eaten on her own since Thursday.  Our vet.  said she could
>have lymphosarcoma, but she wants to rule out lead poisoning, a tumor
>somewhere that you cant see on the x-ray or something that is an over-site.

Cases like this, I generally start with trying to rule out a foreign body -
young ferrets are most likely to have them, and the not eating, not moving,
fits with a foreign body (though certainly that would not be the only thing
that fits this particular profile.)  The problem with foriegn bodies is
that they can be very stealthy - routing X-rays pick up only about 10%, and
barium studies only can double that.  That's about 80% that are missed by
radiographic studies.  For young ferrets, I tend to go to surgery pretty
quickly - the longer you wait, the worse a surgical candidate she becomes.

True, figures would be helpful here - I am a bit puzzled by the ruleout
list - lymphoma and lead.  CBC should show evidence of lead - as it is very
rare in ferrets, without definitive evidence to go on, I would not want to
overlook more common diseases in young ferrets to chase this one.  As far
as lymphoma is concerned, a high white count could be seen with leukemia,
but this again is not a common form of lymphoma.  Juvenile lymphoma in a
failing ferret should show radiographic signs - enlarged thymus, liver,
and spleen -

One other thing - you mention that she hasn't eaten on her own since
Thursday.  I am hopeful that your vet has provided you with a method and
materials for feeding her yourself....

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM