From:
Dee McNally <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 08:40:37 -0600
OK, OK.  Allow me to clarify myself . . .

When I get home, first I fix the other room so he can't hurt himself.  Then
I put the barricade up.  By this time, he knows what is going to happen.
When I get him out, I sit down and hold and pet him for a while, but he
usually tries to escape.  I put him in the other room to start to play and
do the usual things you do when you get home (sort the mail, go to the
bathroom, etc.).  This usually gives him time to get re-oriented with the
room <and try to find everything I have put up>.

After doing the other stuff, usually takes about 5 minutes or so, I check on
him.  I go in the other room and play with him a little, but he mostly
enjoys just going under the bed and playing with the old shirts and socks we
stuff under there.  Occasionally he come up and visits, but usually he just
comes up and slinkers around underneath the cover.

I tend to have a lot of homework, but I gave up even TRYING to do homework
around him.  He becomes too interested in the pencil bobbing up and down for
me to get anywhere.

Also, I do have a small medical problem.  I have an allergic reaction to his
fur.  When I hold him for long periods of time, wherever he has been on my
arms or neck, breaks out into red, itchy bloches with little bumps.  After I
wash my arms with HOT water, it goes away.  So, needless to say, I can't
spend to long with him without going and washing myself!  But I always come
back for more!!!

I realize that it seems a little silly, to some people probably, to not only
keep an animal that makes you break out into a rash, but to try and get
another one.  But you must understand, I have had Alexander for 3 years now.
I love him too much to get rid of him.  And I want him to be just as happy.
If getting him a little buddy will do this, then d*** the rash and full
speed ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this clarifies for you.  (I should also note, that while Alexander
likes my husband a lot, whenever I come in the room he tries to get to me.
He knows the hand that feeds him!)