From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 12:46:43 -0400
Please allow me to make A correction to Charleens post-

Humane Societies are self funding- like ferret shelters they DO NOT get
monies from the states.  They get donations from drop offs, they get
funds from adoptions, they write for grants for special programs funded
by foundations.

States do NOT fund animal shelters.  Some may get local support through
the United Way - Charleen, I am not picking - you made an unfair
statement which could mislead folks.

Most likely you were misled.  ALL non profit shelters be it ARL, SPCA,
humane, etc., are governed by boards of directors.  It is the job of this
board to define the mission of the non profit-- they set policy's ( cat,
dog etc).  It is through good working relationships and education that we
will get them to have a broader mind and reach out to the ferrets.

I am just trying to set things straight!

Alicia D.
www.ferretwise.org