From:
"JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 21:00:14 -0400
I'm catching up on multiple FMLs, so I have several threads to comment on.

First, Roxanne Zoubek commented on Totally Ferret and mentioned some of the
reasons for the expense of the food.  In describing ferret digestion, she
noted that:

>Ferrets have unique digestive systems. They can't digest raw starch.

That's not entirely true.  Ferrets *do* produce amylase, the primary enzyme
that breaks down starch into sugar.  However, the activity of the enzyme is
much lower in ferrets than in other domestic carnivore such as dogs and
cats.  So, they can digest starch, but are less efficient than other
carnivores.  Much of it probably passes through without being digested or
provides little critters in the gut with food.

To the anonymous poster who discovered dried cranberries as a treat, my two
guys have loved them since they first tried them.  I also wonder if they
might protect against urinary tract infections.  Don't know if they do or
not.

Regarding ECE, Michael Dutton noted that viruses cannot be cultured like
bacteria.  Very true, but there are many ways to detect viruses...many of
which must be done at a large University or state research center.  I
suspect that much more can be done to detect the virus responsible for ECE.

--Jeff Johnston