Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 1996 09:54:18 -0400
Hi, everybody!  This is my first posting, so please excuse the rambling.  Am
real excited to have finally found lots of other ferret lovers!  I've been
in love with these little cuties for the last six or seven years - wouldn't
know what to do without them!

My first little boy was just that - little, only 2-1/2 lbs. and a real
pretty sable.  I called him Slinky.  He was one of those little guys that
preferred to be sleeping in your lap than somewhere else and he had the
worst sweet tooth I have ever known.  Unfortunately, at 5-1/2 he was
diagnosed with a malignant adrenal tumor that had progressed to his pancreas
and he passed away six months later.  Because of the extensive involvement
of his disease, I elected not to have the tumor surgically removed (I didn't
want to have him suffer anymore than was necessary)and his last six months
were relatively pain-free.  I believe he only really suffered the last week.
I don't regret my decision about the surgery and my vet was absolutely
wonderful through the whole ordeal.  I will never forget my bright-eyed,
little 'Snuffalovakus', and to this day I miss him terribly.

Enough of the sad stuff...today, I'm smitten with another little guy - but
this was one is as different from Slinky as black is from white.  Snoopy is
his proper name, he also is a sable but a much larger one, and most times I
call him Munchkins - three guesses why, and the first two don't count!  He
munches on everything he can get his teeth into - let me rephrase that - he
munches on anything human he can get his teeth into.  I have tried
everything - from squirting water in his face, to pinging his nose with my
forefinger, to painting my fingers, toes and ankles with tail-biting liquid.
Nothing has helped - he still does it, only now he knows he's going to get
reprimanded so he's learnt to be the fastest bitter in town!  Bite and run -
that's his motto.  Is there anyone out there who's got any suggestions on
how I can stop this.  Sometimes he really hurts!  He's eight months old and
in every other respect, I love him to bits.  He's wonderful with the litter
pan, although I haven't yet given him complete free run of the house
unsupervised.  However, when I do have him out, as long as up to a couple of
hours, he holds himself and uses his litter box in the cage when I put him
back in.  He also is a very human-oriented ferret, would rather be in the
room with me than somewhere else on his own - he's like Slinky in this
respect.

One last request...in reading past FML notes, I have seen several references
to Marshall Farms ferrets - what is this all about?  Am I missing something
here tha I should know about?  Would love to hear from anybody that address
my questions - I'm Penny Schiller at [log in to unmask] and my little one's
name is Munchkins, a.k.a.  Snoopy.  As a final note, I'm a New Jerseyan -
know of any local shows either here in NJ or even PA, NY or CT?

Thanks a bunch!