Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 15:18:01 -0300
Hi Ryan,

You have definitely come to the right place. The members of this
mail-list have a wealth of experience and knowledge amongst them.

Sounds like you have worked very hard at training your new baby.

First question that leaps to my mind is - how old is your little girl?
You write that you've had her for 4 weeks, but don't mention age. If
this is a very young kit, she may not be developmentally at a stage in
which she can learn all you're expecting of her. In which case it will
take longer for her to get to where you want her to be. If you had an
older, mature ferret as a companion, she would learn much from the
older one because they do learn from one another quickly.

Some like being held and cuddled - others do not. They are individuals,
like we are in terms of likes and dislikes. They are as distinct as
snowflakes.

My understanding is that Ferretone is an acquired taste. Most will like
it, but not all do.

I do have some concern that you have had her for 4 weeks, are spending
anywhere from 6-12 hours a day in her presence - and yet are asking
what it means to bond with a ferret??? If you aren't bonded already, I
would be a little worried for both of you.

'Bonding' is that experience of feeling deeply connected, whether its
with another person or an animal companion. It is missing them when you
are not in their presence. It is empathizing when they are ill, in
distress or in pain. It is the experience of loving and caring without
the notion of expecting anything in return. If you identify with any of
these things in reference to your little fuzzy - then you are bonded
or in the process of bonding. If you do not experience any of these
things, I would advise you consider rehoming her. That is my personal
opinion and does not necessarily reflect the view of others on this
mail-list.

It may be that you and ferrets aren't a good match. Nothing wrong with
that. They aren't right for everyone.

Her running and hiding is typical ferret behaviour - she wants you to
chase her and then she chases you and then you chase her - and so on.
Its the game they play with each other and with you.

I would highly recommend Dick Bossart's Ferret Manual, which you can
download for free from: http://www.thechipster.com/fert-man.html

I am certain you will get recommendations for other resources. I like
Dick's manual because its accessible, laid out rationally,
comprehensive and its free!

I know you will get sage advice from others to your questions.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if the information you receive is
unclear or confusing to you or you want more information.

Whether you decide to keep your little fuzzy or not, you have obviously
made a sincere effort to care for her to the best of your ability. And
that deserves acknowledgement!

Sincerely,
Tressie

Tressie A. Dutchyn, MA
ID PhD student, Dalhousie University

Research Associate
Atlantic Interdisciplinary Research Network for Social & Behavioral
Issues Hepatitis C & HIV/AIDS
Department of Community Health & Epidemiology
Faculty of Medicine
Dalhousie University