From:
Debi & David Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 14:29:15 -0500
I personally feel that all ferrets taken to shows should have a recent ADV
test... regardless of the cost and/or inconvenience.  But then, again,
you're not going to see my ferrets or me at any ferret gathering simply
because even that "recent" test is not conclusive enough to satisfy me.
There's still too much that the experts aren't sure about to justify me
trying to second-guess the risk.  Any kind of preventative measure is
better than none at all.  For the safety of your ferrets and your own
peace of mind, push for all the prevention you can get.

I could care less who sanctions what... It's still up to the individual
ferret owner to make that potentially life or death decision no matter
who is sanctioning it or what the sanctioning body's requirements are.

I think maybe we're using the AFA as a scapegoat so that we'll have
somewhere definite to lay the blame for our own failure to be responsible.
And sadly enough, the AFA is trying to do something... even if it's not
enough... which is more than many of us have done.

It sounds to me like the AFA is tied up in politics... and were trying to
be "polite" with the "people in the ferret community who have or have had
known positive ADV ferret in their care to provide ADV test results taken"
so as not to "offend" another faction, those who would be insulted by
someone suggesting that they might be ADV positive.  As though ADV carries
the AIDS stigma.

An institution is only as strong as it's membership.  (and if it's
membership is not in control it will eventually leave that institution to
form one where it is in control)

Wouldn't it be nice if we'd all just quit whining about what everybody else
did or didn't and just do what's necessary ourselves for the health of our
fuzzies, (not just because someone required it)?

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home