From:
Kymberlie Barone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 23:52:16 -0500
Hello everyone,

It has been WAY overdue for me to post this, and I must publicly and
ashamedly apologize to Ada Gibbs for this.  Not to mention, there is a
story worth sharing here.

When the last SOS Shelter List (Thanks Judith & gang!!) came out, I'd
informed people that the majority of our ferret bedding had been destroyed.
We had our basement flood over the summer, and when ferret bedding is
dirty, we leave it in the basement until laundry day.  Well, we don't go
to the basement for anything else, and I didn't know that the basement had
flooded until a week later.  By then, most of the bedding was ruined,
mildewed, with holes.  It was a disaster for us, because almost the only
other bedding we had was what was in the cages at the time.

I had a number of people send a hammock here and there (including someone
who sent the best hammock I've ever seen, and darn it if I can't remember
the name of the person who sent it, I will try to locate that and
personally thank this person!!), which you all can't imagine how helpful
these hammocks were to receive.  THANK YOU SO MUCH to those of you who sent
bedding!!!  One person, however, deserves a sincere thank you.  One day, I
received a computer paper-sized box on my doorstep, from Ada Gibbs.

Inside, I found a goldmine.  I took the box into the ferret shelter and
opened it with a whole crowd of ferrets looking excitedly into the box.
Inside was more bedding than I could have imagined, mostly baby blankets,
the cutest things I've ever seen, including one with little paw prints and
puppies on it!  But not only did she send bedding, she also sent a very
generous donation of ferret supplies along too, which I hadn't specifically
asked for but ALWAYS are in dire need of.

That night, I sat down to hand-write Ada a personal letter, filled with the
emotion that I and the ferrets felt (yes, they did really!).  But as anyone
who knows me knows, I always wind up doing sixty things at a time and half
never get done.  When you run a shelter, there just aren't enough hours in
a day.  Anyway, the letter sits, still, here aside of me, unsent, and I am
publicly shamed for not sending it, so I want everyone on this list to know
how wonderful a thing that she did for the shelter.

While I'm at it, those of you who send monetary donations anonymously, even
the $1 donations, it is SO SO appreciated.  Bless each and every one of
your hearts!!!

So what I want to say is if you read this list and want to help ferrets
out, but just don't know how, don't discount the Shelter List.  You may
think that one tube of NutriCal or Ferretvite isn't enough, or a $5
donation is not helpful, or a hammock, even used!!  Every little bit helps.
Read the shelter list and pick a shelter.  It doesn't have to be in your
state, just any one at all that tugs at you for any reason.  We ALL need a
little help now and then.  Or, should I say, the FERRETS need the help.

The Shelter List is a wonderful, wonderful resource.  If you want to help
ferrets out, take advantage of the list.  I promise you, every tiny little
bit helps.

Thanks for letting me share!

Kymberlie Barone
Director,
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
Montgomery County Branch
http://www.ferretrescue.com
"Forget Puppy Love... There's nothing greater than Ferret Love!"tm
Don't miss the Three Rivers Ferret Show!!!!!!!!!
March 13, 1999 in Oakmont, PA
More info: http://trfn.clpgh.org/trfc/Show.shtml
Show proceeds help PFRA ferrets get a second chance!!!