From:
Kalaine Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 12:28:48 PST
Hello everyone,
This is Kalaine writing to everyone w/ updates on Jezzy and Taz.  I
realized I did not say where I am from.  The girls, my husband Richard,
and I reside in New Jersey.

The girls aren't completely well, but they are improving.  They have just
started eating their dry food.  I stupidly thought that meant they were
getting better and stopped w/ the duck soup.  Thanks to someone replying
to my letter on the FML.  I realized my error and restarted the duck soup
yesterday.  They ate like food had went out of style.

Jezzy has started bouncing off of things like normal.  She takes more
breaks after her bouncing.  Taz is the one I still worry about.  she is the
one who got the ECE first.  I found out the doctors had let her vomit all
day before they tried to stop it.  They said they thought she had been
poisoned.  Having a little background in EMS (for humans) I know that the
rule of thumb is to let the person get the poison out.  However, if they
had asked me if she had been poisoned I could have told them NO, and they
could have started the correct treatment sooner.  She lost a lot of weight,
and her temperament has changed.  I am hoping she will return to normal as
she gets better.

Taz sleeps a lot more.  I think it is bec.  she is bored.  Also, she has
turned into attack ferret.  She only attacks poor Jezzy, so I have to keep
them apart.  Jezzy seems both upset and happy over this separation.  She is
upset bec.  she misses her best buddy (sometimes human parents just aren't
the same) I have been improving on my ferret impersonations.  I still don't
have the dooka down, but my hissing and backing away has greatly improved :)
She is happy bec. she gets to keep the fur on the back of her neck.

I have a question.  The girls have been doing well for about 2 weeks.  I
have been putting off a trip to visit my family for over a month.  Does
anyone think a trip would be too much for them?  It is for a weekend and
the trip is only 2hrs away.

My biggest problem is the cages.  We have two.  One is a travel cage.  It
fits nicely in the back seat of our SUV.  The other cage is a two story
condo cage.  I don't want to put one in the travel cage and one in a pet
carrier.  I was thinking of getting an xtra large pet carrier and
converting it into another travel cage.  I really don't want to add a third
cage to our tiny apt.  I figure I can throw out my old carrier.  I would
donate it, but I don't think it would be wise to give the carrier away
since the girls are infected.  If only they could co-exist like before. :(

I really think the best thing to do would be to leave the girls home, but
my husband would not keep up w/ the feedings.  He hates the smell of the
duck soup, and won't be in the same room w/ it.  At least if they were w/
me I can tell how they are doing.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to me, and thanks everyone for
sharing your stories.  I cry w/ all of you when your babies pass on to
the bridge.  I pray for all the sick babies.

Kalaine, Richard, Taz-arina, and Jezzy-belle