From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:42:45 +0000
I see both sides of the issue.  We aren't wealthy, do without a lot
ourselves so the ferrets are happy.  Not to mention running a shelter
takes a major toll on any budget.

I went and checked out the specials at Pets.com... and I did end up placing
an order... of dog and cat food.  I couldn't bring myself to give them my
ferret business.

I am sure I won't be the first saying this... but I have appreciation and
respect for the folks at The Ferret Store... overall..  DAILY, they do have
the best prices you can find... I know first hand about their support and
dedication to ferret rescue and shelters... not only have they donated
items to my shelter..  but even went out of their way to help hook me up
with people in the corporate offices at manufacturers so I could talk to
them as well.

Their special pricing and arrangements for shelters have been a blessing to
us, as I am sure they have for many other rescue groups.... they help
provide education and information..  as well as providing us with the
bulletin board and ferret reources online.

Not to mention, the folks there (specifically Scott, Jason and Joe) have
proven themselves loyal ferret lovers and interested in the ferret
community.  They always go out of their way to help people and ferrets.
I would like to share this... I was once on the phone with one of them (Joe
or Jason I forget which), and the other had a call on the other line...
it was a woman desperately looking for help and advice in training a deaf
ferret.  After they tried to talk to her and offer as much help as they
could... they asked me if I would talk to her, and they exchanged our
numbers between us, I was able to phone the lady and give her the
information to websites and articles that would help her.  They spent a
great deal of time and effort assisting this lady... who was NOT placing
an order... they did it because they care.

When I was looking for ferret info, education material, brochures etc to
use at our recent ferret education seminar... Joe and Jason spent a lot of
time they didn't *have* to..  going through through the info and promo
material they had in the warehouse, finding good ferret education type
ones, sorting them in to packs and shipping them to me.  Granted, the
*material* was all freebie stuff put out by various companies... but they
sure didn't have to spend hours pulling it out, going through it, fixing it
up (even ran off copies in one case) and mailing them to us at no charge.
They did it because they supported what we were doing, supported out
education day seminar and showed their support for what we were trying to
accomplish.  As a result, the stacks of information we have available made
the day a huge success and 50 ferret owners left knowing a lot more about
how to care for their ferret correctly... and I have no doubt that saved a
few from being mistreated, neglected or left for rescue.

Maybe I am old fashioned... but The Ferret Store goes out of their way,
more than any company, to show their concern, support and loyalty to us and
our ferrets, and go above and beyond the call of duty assisting rescue
operations.  For that, they have my respect and loyalty in return.
Saving a few bucks on one order isn't worth the trust we have with them.

I did take advantage of the special prices... saved a nice chunk over
retail prices on my dog and cat food.... maybe I'll take the "other critter
budget" money we saved and use it to get some more stuff from The Ferret
Store.  *G*

Susan Malone
Ferrets Unlimited Rescue of Tulsa
Fanciful Ferrets By Pegasus