From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 22:22:24 -0500
>From:    Paige Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: One Last Hurdle

Ear Licking - this can be stopped by applying Bitter Apple to the ears - I
would recommend using the furniture cream instead of the spray in the case
of ears.

***   Fish tank ferret
>From:    Andre Klefenz / Jennifer Strong <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dobey and the fish

Be careful of ferrets and fish tanks - the fish and their environment are
filled with bacteria and can cause guiardia in ferrets.  An article about
this will be appearing in Modern Ferret Magazine in the future.

***  Overseas ferrets
>From:    "SPC Charles A. Fair" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Italian/German ferrets and I'm back

Look on the STAR* database for the listings in Australia, Germany, Sweden,
Switzerland, etc. and their ferret organizations.

***  ferret banned areas
>From:    tigerzwar <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: what states???

Ferrets are banned as pets in California and the District of Columbia.
Ferret sales are banned in South Carolina and some NE states, but ownership
is permitted.  There are pockets of cities or counties in some states that
ban ferrets: Salt Lake City, UT; Columbus, OH; and lots of areas in Texas.

***   Ferrets in the paper
>From:    Kelly White <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret stuff in newspaper

Could someone - anyone and everyone - send me a copy of ANY newspaper
clippings regarding ferrets from ANY publication or journal?  I keep a file
and all I ask is that you add the date and publication and city/state of the
paper.  This way, if someone ever asks about good or bad ferret press, I
have the clippings to pull for anyone's needs.

Please send to: STAR* Ferrets, PO Box 1714, Springfield, VA 22151-0714

***   Rabies vaccines
>From:    Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccine help needed!

The reason you are having so much trouble is that lay people should not give
rabies vaccinations.  Even in Virginia, where I can buy the vaccines without
a prescription or vet license, I would never dream of self vaccinating my
ferrets against rabies because the certificate by the vet is what carries
the weight of proof of vaccination.

Since distemper is not a disease that humans can acquire from ferrets, dogs
and cats, it is fine to self vaccinate.  But rabies is transmissible across
species and it would be in your ferrets best interest to have a vet vaccinate
using Imrab 3.

Pam Grant