From:
Chuck Renaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:08:30 +0600
>Anthony Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
>Vet Questions and Gliders

>The sugar glider is an Australian native, a marsupial, whilst it
>might look a bit like a squirrel it is not related.  I must say I
>find it most remarkable that these are a popular pet in the U.S -
>are they kept as a captive but wild animal or are they companions
>like ferrets???

They're companion pets...most sold today are domestically bred, though there
are still some imported/wild ones.  I follow a similar schedule with gliders
as I do with ferrets--let them sleep most of the day and, in the evening,
let them out for a few hours.  The difference being that the ferts basically
roam around at ground/couch level while the gliders stay physically attached
to their owners (sleeping in a pocket, perched on a head, or scurrying
around the back/shoulders).

=====-----=====

>"JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
>"Small increased risk of cancer"

>Chuck Renaud asked about the possible added risk of cancer--albeit,
>still unproved--from ethoxyquin, the food preservative often used
>in kibbled pet food.  This started when Chuck quoted some
>literature from L'Avian pet food stating that their food didn't
>contain ethoxyquin and that "while there isn't 100% proof that
>ethoxyquin causes cancer, why take the chance?"

Okay, before this equine kicks the bucket, let me make two clarifications:

To the best of my knowledge, L'Avian did not originate the ethoxyquin
study...I merely quoted THEIR report because it was the last I read.  I had
previously seen other studies that pre-dated anything I've seen from
L'Avian.

Second, the "why take the chance" quote was mine, not L'Avian's.

>I responded that I thought the company's logic was highly specious and
>said that it comes close to "that other famous leading question, 'When did
>you stop beating your wife?'" And Chuck asked how I paired the two
>questions.  L'Avian's statement vastly oversimplifies the subject by
>presupposing that ethoxyquin *is* carcinogenic.  Nice of them to make that
>decision for you, no?

I did not make the statement that L'Avian started the ethoxyquin debate, and
I don't believe L'Avian did either.  I think they took advantage of the
situation, but I don't think they created it.  Like I said, I have seen
other information that predated L'Avian's "reports".  If L'Avian was
responsible for the "ethoxyquin is evil" debacle, then I can (somewhat)
understand the analogy...but I haven't seen anything to prove this is merely
a corporate stunt.

>Following the line of thinking L'Avian uses, we should never eat another
>peanut again, or corn, or basil, or water...because while it's not 100%
>certain that it'll cause cancer in you, why take the chance?

This was my statement.  I am not overly paranoid, but I am concerned when I
feed my pets foods that contain preservatives currently under scrutiny.

I'm not aware of any concurrent studies on the carcinogenic effects of
peanuts, corn, basil or water.  THAT'S what makes it different to me than
ethoxyquin.  I see enough concern about this product to make it worth
studying, and until I see results, why should I take any chances?

>EVERYTHING is a chance.  And wouldn't it be ironic if ethoxyquin
>keeps aflatoxin from forming in stored food and prevents liver cancer?

And I anxiously await more results on the study of this product.  If it
proves to be a safe product, I have no problem with using foods that contain
it.  But as long as a question remains about its safety, I'll stick with my
alternatives.

>If a company wants to educate me about why their product is better
>and why it has expended more effort to provide me with a safer product
>I'll be happy to hear them out and probably be more inclined to buy
>those products.  But companies that use half-truths and fear-mongering
>don't deserve my patronage.

I hope I've clarified myself sufficiently, because I honestly believe
L'Avian has tried to do the former and not the latter.

I am still very interested in hearing about other reports on the ethoxyquin
issue--just not this dead horse.

Apologies to BIG and the FML for the length of this reply, but I felt it was
necessary to set some things straight.  I do not work for L'Avian, but my
ferrets like their food very much and it has come highly recommended from
other area breeders.  It is one of the few companies willing to give out
free samples of their product before expecting customers to shell out the
big bucks for something their/my pets might not even eat