Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:14:58 EDT
Alicia, I am not condemning our judicial system nor mocking it as you
said.  Maybe Im a little skittish of what I have seen over the years.  I
see owners bashing in dogs heads, kids setting cats on fire, kicking
dogs, twirling cats around by their tails and have seen these "owners"
year after year getting fined.  Pay the fine and your done.  Plead for a
lesser charge of animal endangerment when they've left them without food
and water for days.

Do I believe it can be changed?  Yes, as I stated I know one state has
newly passed a law making it a serious crime to abuse animals (I wish I
could remember which one) I believe the laws are not yet there to protect
the animals the way they should be.  My neighbor once shot my dog (the
barking one I explained) with a bee bee gun.  I called the police (this
happened in front of my daughter mind you) they could do nothing.  you
know why?  Because I didn't see him do it even though when the police
questioned him he had the beebee gun he purchased from Edisons there
(check this, he told the people at Edisons what he was buying if for).
But, since I didn't see him do it they could not officially give him a
ticket nor anything else.

I believe that this situation (Oregon) was different.  I don't disrespect
the law or the laws put before us.  But that doesn't mean I have to agree
with the way it works.  I know for a fact that the day I went to the
Humane Society when my dog (other one) snuck under the fence and out
running around (animal control and human society) A woman entered with a
box of kittens (think four) and they had ringworm.  The Human Society
worker said "do you know we will not treat them and they will have to be
put down?"   yes, she did.  Believe this?  The lady got mad and said then
"you'll have to answer to God, not me!"

Anyway ... you want to help shelters when rescuing from abuse cases?  Why
not make a phamplet to pass around where they can fill in the blanks and
find their laws and have all the necessary checks they need before they
do a rescue.  This will go further than condemning a "rescue" when it
indeed did not have the characteristics of a typical rescue situation.

As far as the Oregon case goes though ... misinformation was the pitfall
here.  You did not have all the facts.  You jumped to conclusions and
condemed other persons for doing what they do best, helping the ferrets.
Sometimes things are better left out of the courts.  Each situation is
different and needs to be based on the facts of the case.

Oh and PS.  Maybe the lady at the animal control was telling me some
story or something, or maybe that's what she was told.  But I am no
liar and Im saddened that you would get so worked up that you would
say such a thing to someone you don't know.

Leanne B