From:
Vicky Kuruc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:01:47 -0500
Charlene, as much as I wish it were possible that "everyone" who gets a
ferret care for it till it passes from old age, it isnt going to happen.
Way to many variables.

The people who give them to the shelter because they cant afford the vet
bills, for the most part, do so I think because they would probably get
NO care at all in their homes as far as the needed surgery etc and they
want the best for their babies.  I had to give my ferrets up after a
mental break down and divorce, the healthy ones stayed with my ex and I
took the really sick ones (insulinoma, and I worke full time at one place
and part time at a vets office so I had free care for my babies), the
ones I ultimetly (sorry spelling, no spell checker :P) had to give up.  I
had gotten to the point where I had to go live with my parents because I
couldnt even make a sandwich, couldnt remember how, I'd just sit in the
middle of the kitchen and cry instead.  My parents wouldnt allow the
ferrets because my mom was undergoing chemo for kidney cancer which I got
to spend the last year of her life with her while I recovered from a
Manic episode due to the horrendous stress of a extreemly abusive 22 year
marriage.

So please dont lump everyone together who decides they cant take care of
their elderly or sick babies, most I think, and I like to think that most
people are good, do so because they honestly feel it is what is best for
the fur babies.  Yes I know that shelters get the cost but that is why
others donate to the cause, for the fur babies sake, most people wont
donate to an individual's cause.  But that is one reason I donate the
ferret embroidered shirts to the shelters, it's a small way I can help
them with a bill or food or whatever they need.  We should never judge a
person's intentions because after all they are the only ones who know why
they are doing something and we can not know what lies behind the
decision.  Please know this is not a flame only to let you know, nothing
is ever clear cut when looking in on someone elses life decisions.

Vicky
"Ferret-Proof isn't"