From:
Amy Robbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:48:19 -0500
This morning I lost my poor Buster and I imagine my not jumping on a
possible issue.

For a few months my Buster (4.5 year old, private breeder, male, never
had health issues) had been peeing in weird places and sometimes right
in front of me.  I assumed it was behavior relating to possible adrenal.
Where he seemed to have no problem urinating I kept an eye out for other
symptoms.  I mentioned it to the vet two weeks ago during his exam.  The
vet agreed and said he looked normal.

I went away for the weekend, returning about 1:00 am on Tuesday.  I
checked on the ferrets and noticed some dark puddles on the floor and
thought they looked strange but urine usually darkens as it dries.
Buster was limp in his bed and looked as if he urinated on himself.  I
took him out and fed him some soup, he ate well but seemed very weak.
Around six in the morning he seemed brighter and a bit stronger.  Last
night he looked a bit worse and wouldn't take any food or fluids.
Whatever I tried to give him just ran out the sides of his mouth.  I
noticed his nose was yellowish and even his skin seemed to have a yellow
tone.  I called and left a message for my vet that we would be in when
they opened in the morning.  However when I went to check on him and feed
him at 2am he was gone.

Where he had been in his cage for so long I wasn't sure a necropsy would
be effective so I buried him this am.  For future reference, does anyone
have any clue as to what the skin yellowing may be (Kidney failure?
okay, what causes that in an otherwise healthy young male).

Thanks.  I feel so guilty that poor Buster had to pay for my not paying
more attention to what he was telling me when he peed in weird places.