From:
Kelly Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:26:45 -0800
Even though this is the season when most of us become acutely aware of
giving more of our time and money, I'd like to just say what a valuable
and wonderful feeling it is to remain charitable all year through.

I know that I have met some of the most charitable and unselfish people
since becoming a fuzzy parent.  But I'd like to just bring attention to
some things that perhaps some newcomers don't realize and the seasoned
veterans may have forgotten.

For one thing, I discovered my time is one of the most precious things I
can give to my local shelter.  And by time I mean committing to cleaning
cages, transporting ferrets and picking them up, helping with ear, nails
and bath day, fostering, manning booths for adoptathons or even
addressing and folding flyers.  What you'll get to take with you is an
abundance of knowledge (and funny stories) from other volunteers, the
undying gratitude, and a TON of knowledge, from the Shelter Owners, and
the love in the eyes and snuggles of a WHOLE LOT of weasels.  Of course
all Shelters are in much need of financial assistance all the time.  And
I do what I can, when I can.  I am fortunate enough to have more time
than most to volunteer, but every little bit helps, even one day a month!

So the next time you look into those soulful little eyes on that fuzzy
little face, think about how you may be able to help all the others that
have been abandon or lost and most importantly how we can help our
shelters.....after all even though each of us may want to, we can't adopt
them all, and until hopefully their new parents come, the shelter is
their home.

This isn't meant to make anyone feel bad, I strictly wanted to share what
I got from volunteering and how passionate I feel about it.

Happy Holidays to all,

Kelly and the redneck ferret gang, bun bun and chi chi

p.s.
just one more thing, my 12 yr old daughter helps as well and there are a
couple of other girls close to her age that volunteer cleaning cages...
on their own to boot!  I think this is a great opportunity to teach our
children compassion and generosity.

ok NOW I'll get off my soapbox...hee, hee

Take Care Everyone and have a safe and sane Holiday.