From:
Katie Fritz & Jeff Lang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1992 17:23:28 -0400
 Subj:  Hurricane Update                        Section: Small Mammals
 From:  Chere McCoy              76207,1724     # 291720, * No Replies *
 To:  all                                     Date: 08/28/92 15:53:22

We know many of you are anxious as to how it is going with the Operation
Miami Ferret Club Rescue and Assistance Program.  Finally yesterday we
got the Answering service for Th South Kendall Vet Hospital (this is
where the Miami Ferret Club held their meetings). We were hung up on 3
times the fourth time I simply said. "Tell them this is Chere McCoy of
the Ferret Friends of Indian River County, we have an airplane we will
fly supplies to you".  The answering service took my message.  This
morning we requested our Chapter Vet to m call them; we believe they will
speak with her (at least not hang up on her).  We are waiting to hear
from Dr. Ernest.  We believe Dr./ Ernest will get through and will find
out what supplies are needed we believe they will need medical supplies
(they treat the ferrets of the Miami Ferret Club of which there are over
100, this number DOES NOT include the 50 that were in the shelter so we
know they treat at least 150).  We have begun to collect medical
supplies, Dog food cat, food, ferret food, bottled water, canned food
etc. To fly in.

 Subj:  Hurrican Update #2                      Section: Small Mammals
 From:  Chere McCoy              76207,1724     # 291745, * No Replies *
 To:  All                                     Date: 08/28/92 16:11:12

As for Angela and the Shelter ferrets:  unfortunately we have been unable
to find her.  We have contacted the Red Cross (still not giving out
information), National Guard (still not giving out information. We have
also contacted all major insurance companies - they have been
cooperative. They tell us that if the Espinet family receives a insurance
check they will call us and tell us they did, because of the Privacy Act
they cannot tell us where they might be located. But we believe that if
one of the insurance companies finds them at least we will know they are
alive.  We have left no stone unturned. As for damage we had a plane down
there and the destruction is beyond description in the Cutler Ridge
Section (where the shelter was and where Andrew made land fall).  We are
not hopeful - We know many of you are anxious as to how it is going with
[...]
food etc. To fly in. all is destroyed, nothing is recognizable.  We will
keep you all informed.

 Subj:  Hurrican update #3                      Section: Small Mammals
 From:  Chere McCoy              76207,1724     # 291747, * No Replies *
 To:  ALL                                     Date: 08/28/92 16:16:16

[...]
keep you all informed. bring back all ferrets they can find.  We of the
FFIRC will then go down and pick the ferrets up - finally we are making
headway)   Leash's, Toys, Mitox (ear mite medication), nutrical,
Laxatone, Cotton Balls, Q-tips, ferret shampoo, conditioner, etc.
collaspeable cages.  We gaurentee anything you send will be flown in or
driven in to the disaster area.   IF YOU CAN HELP, PLEASE DO.    We log
on to compuserver every hour and one-half to check for messages
Leave all messages to #76207-1724. Also needed someone to pass our info
to the the Ferret Mailing list.  For some odd reason we seem only able to
reply to a Mailing List.  We have tried the address and are unable  for
some odd reason to get through to them. Chere McCoy, President Ferret
Friends of Indian River County.