From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:56:55 -0500
There are ferrets whose prostates are still receiving too much damage
from hormonal disruptions (which can continue if not all tissue is
gotten), or whose prostate simply have too much damage.  That is another
reason for mentioning Proscar (Propecia) though in the case of bad cysts
that is only helpful for a few so thanks for finding my error of omission
and calling it to attention, Sandi.  In such situations where the adrenal
disease has been going on too long or is too acute cysts can occur in the
prostate and those are incredibly hard to deal with.  There are multiple
past posts on this in the Ferret Health List Archives at
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/

Were these ones who were turned in to your shelter after their adrenals
had been kicking up for some time?  That sounds like the most common
cause of prostatic cysts.  If more info on these cysts would help you be
sure in part of your search that you also do a separate search for those
cysts with adding "AFERRETVET" in the "from" section.  My assumption
(Okay, assumptions are dangerous...) was that we were discussing
something which just began and in such cases adrenal surgery typically
is curative as i said, though certainly there can be some which simply
start way too gang-busters.  Thanks again for catching that and doing
it gently.  It is an important clarification.

Best of luck on the surgeries and thanks for telling about the article,
too.  I figure that mention deserves a repeat in case someone may have
missed it and need the article so here it is:
>There was an article in the most recent Vet Clinics of North America
>publication showing how to remove the prostate.  We're now looking into
>this surgery.  :-(

BIG and Lynda are right.  You know, failure to accept that others have a
right to their own choices goes both ways.  Until that letter with Bill's
attached comment the discussion had stayed civil and had stayed on the
topic -- discussing things like wording choices, ways to test, and so
on -- instead of definitely personally attacking any person which is
amazing given that a faith thing was under discussion, and that faith or
economics are historically often mentioned as the causes of most wars.
It's best to discuss topics or posts rather than posters, and it's best
to accept that many choices of intellect and faith will differ so one has
to accept that.  There is nothing wrong with presenting multiple facets
of a subject under discussion and of presenting them from differing
viewpoints.  Bill Moyers recently said that there are more chances to
pick up interesting things and learn by learning with those whose
opinions differ from the listeners.  It's an observation that is worth
taking to heart while at the same time being able to disagree civilly
when a topic is still under discussion.  (I can't recall the exact quote
but you'll find it in a fascinating discussion on the current recession
and possibility of impending inflationary recession with a conservative
economist at
http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript_rockwell.html .)

Anyway, please, talk civilly and about the posts rather than the posters.
Please!

These days when seeking Proglycem look instead for the generic name
"Diazoxide".  It can be difficult to impossible to find it under the name
"Proglycem" anymore.  I can not recall details but think that it may be
that the drug patent expired.  Both Prednisone and Diazoxide cause the
liver to put more sugar into the blood, if memory serves.  There is an
excellent post by veterinary pathologist Dr. Bruce Williams on this in
the FHL Archives mentioned above and I feel very sure that it can also be
found in the FML Archives.  To get the FML Archives look in the header of
any day's Ferret Mailing List.  Both are very easily searched and very
friendly.

Meds over the internet: this topic was recently discussed either here or
at the FHL.  There have been multiple cases with meds over the internet
where what was received was not what was ordered: similar meds but not
the same one and sometimes that includes potentially dangerous additives
of differences, expired meds that no longer work, deaths caused, etc.
Tread very carefully -- very, very carefully.  That is also true for
humans; there is a current case on-going in which a woman required a
liver transplant after taking such meds which were misrepresented that
was recently in the news.  I am NOT familiar with the source you
mentioned so can not say if that one is reputable or disreputable.  We
have a very tight budget but we are sticking with known reputable sources
of medications.  There just is too much room for potential risks for our
tastes personally.

Like Bob I enjoy seeing increased international input in the ferret
groups I'm in!  Hope it is a continuing trend!