From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:02:44 -0700
Hello Everyone!

I have a friend without e-mail access, so I'm posting this question for
her.  Her 4 yr. old female ferret (Minnow) has a strange bump on her
underside.  It's located in the middle of her body, straight down from her
armpit, on the edge of her belly and her side.  I haven't seen the bump,
and the only thing I can think of is a mast cell tumor.  However, 2 vets
have seen Minnow and don't think it's mast cell, so I thought I'd see if
anyone on the list has any ideas!

Apparently the bump started out fairly small and has now grown to about
the size of a quarter.  It is covered in light fur and may be a little
discolored.  It was described to me as sort of blister looking and is
raised under Minnow's skin.  It doesn't seem to bother her, and a biopsy
came back that it contained some sort of virus.  A 2 week course of
Amoxicillan was given with no helpful results, which makes sense if this
is a virus.  Maybe the vet was just trying to prevent infection?

Well, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!  I can be reached at

Thanks!
Anita