From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 11:57:46 -0500
>From:    Austin Owens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: my 2 cents!!!!!!
>I have only been on this list a few weeks and had seen several refrences to
>Marshall Farms.

How generous of you to offer to lead the fight.

>The page was stories upon stories about the abuse and neglect of there
>ferrets.  As I read I became so physicaly mad and ill I had to get off.  I
>did take the time to write down the IRL for this address.  Here it is ( I
>hope its ok to post this)

I suggest you try to verify the accuracy of these stories before you try to
defame Marshall Farms.

>P.S  Did u know they sell 10% of there ferrets to medical research labs?
>That dosent seem like a lot but when u consider how many ferrets they
>breed a year thats a lot!

This falls under the category of animal rights discussion, which is not
allowed on this list, but please don't assume that everyone agrees with you.
I work in the pharmaceutical industry and I suggest you go to your medicine
cabinet and throw out everything in it.  Everything.  Email me privately if
you want to discuss it further.

As to the discussion on shelters buying and selling ferrets, I'm astounded
to see such a heated discussion.  I can't argue with a shelter asking an
adoption fee for a ferret.  It seems only fair, and it's not like they
operate at a profit.  I still disagree with the practice of buying "rescue"
ferrets.  If you buy a ferret for $100 from a rich spoiled brat college
student who refuses to take responsibility for the beast any longer, you are
not rescuing him.  You are buying him.  Someone else could just as easily
have bought him and he would probably be just fine.  Where a rescue comes in
is when that college student can't sell him, so wants to drop him of with
someone.  That's rescue.  If you are asking for donations from the general
public, I think you should be honest about what kind of business you are
running.  If it is a rescue, then say so.  If it is an "unprofitable
combined rescue and ferret brokerage operation" you should say so also.
Technically, when a ferret is for sale, no matter how reprehensible the
owner, he's okay.  He's for sale.  When he has been abandoned in the woods
for three days with no food and water, THEN he needs rescuing.  Also, buying
from unscrupulous sellers only encourages them to breed and sell more.  What
next?  A drive to collect money to buy ALL of Marshall Farms ferrets?  Why
not?  They need rescue don't they?

That's just my opinion.  Thanks to all the shelter operators who wrote in to
explain their methods.  I found it very interesting and you have my utmost
respect.

-Catherine