Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 94 11:09:23 EST
To Jon-Anne:

>i was wondering what are the bad ingrediants used in flea collars.  are
>kitten flea collars ok?  are there any allergic reactions to look out
>for?  as you may have already guessed, i have a flea prioblem.  i have
<tried flea spray, but the fleas come back the next day, i gust thought
>that a flea collar may be a more permanent way to keep my babies from
>the fleas.  help...

        Jon-Anne - stay away from flea collars.  They are impregnated with
organophosphate at levels for dogs and cats.  Flea sprays have a shot residual.
Stick with products that contain pyrethrin, you may shampoo once a week and use
the spray every other day.

        The most important thing you can do is treat the house.  Bathe the
ferrets, wash all of their laundry, vacuum the place, and then put yourself ,
the ferrets, and all other pets in the car and bomb the house.  You will have to
be gone for two hours.

        My wife and I end every summer with this procedure done twice over two
weeks.

        But stay away from any organophosphates or carbamates.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000