From:
Dawn Hohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:11:39 -0700
Hello fellow ferret fanatics,

I have been browsing Ferret Digest each day for the last couple weeks with
great delight.  It is just wonderful to have somewhere to converse about
these lovable little creatures.  Most of my friends think I am strange for
talking about them so much (of course they think of them in the catagory of
rodents).  Anyway, most people just don't understand.

I got my first ferret about five years ago.  Her name was Chooy and she went
to be with the Lord back in February.  This has left me with two fur heads,
a female named Plinkin, and a male I found outside about starved, who I
named Toby.

I got Plinkin when she was a baby, and from the moment I brought her home I
knew she was different.  She has endless energy, wakes up in an instant, and
plays constantly.  One of her stranger habits is hopping up on the toilet
seat and carefully sliding her head into the bowl to get a drink of water.
The whole process is actually quite involved as she must muster enough
momentum by running around the base of the toilet and jumping up to grab
onto the hinge where the seat meets the bowl.  If she misses, which she
usually does on the first few tries, she runs around again.  Once she has
the hinge she pulls herself up and gets a firm footing on the hinge and
seat.  She then slides her body with her front paws on her belly down into
the bowl and takes a drink.

The first time I witnessed this I was amazed.  As you might suspect, she
doesn't always keep her footing, and she has had more than one splashdown.
Once when she hit the water, I swear she shot straight up out of the bowl
about two feet.  I had a good laugh over that one.

By the way, the toilet is always flushed and cleaned so she has some fresh
water to satisfy her toilet water craving.  (And whenever it is flushed, she
comes running to get a fresh drink.)

So does anyone else have a ferret that thinks of the toilet as a big water
bowl?  Please let me know if you do.  I know Plinkin is different, but it
would be nice to know she is not the only one.