From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:51:20 -0500
Hi

>First question:  does anyone else have a ferret with asthma and out of
>curiosity, what medical protocols do others follow for treatment of ferret
>asthma?

While I do not have a ferret who suffers from asthma, I experience this
problem myself.  My recommendation?  Remove as many allergens from his
environment as possible.  Do not use scented laundry detergents or fabric
softeners, carpet powders or sprays, ferret shampoos or conditioners.
Switch to an allergen free litter like Care Fresh (available at some larger
pet stores).  Launder his bedding at least once per week, and be sure that
his cage and play space is as dust free as possible.  Vacuum and dust these
areas frequently and/or wash down the floors.  Use a damp rag for dusting
rather than a dry one or a feather duster.  Keep his room humid but not
overly so- you might want to look into a room-sized humidifier.  Just be
sure to keep it out of ferret reach!  Change your furnace filter on a
regular basis to keep from blowing dust and allergens through the house.
Consider air-conditioning his living quarters in warmer weather.

Best wishes,
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
visit the Sage Ferrets web site at
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/1122

Don't miss the Three Rivers Ferret Show!
March 13th, 1999
Oakmont, PA
http://trfn.clpgh.org/trfc/Show.shtml