From:
Amy McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:49:04 -0500
Ok *takes deep breath* how many of you swear adrenal, insulimona, etc will
NOT happen to your beloved ferret(s)?  Welp, I have to admit despite the
"statistics" I held a spark of hope in my heart that my kids would beat the
odds.  I was probably wrong.  Miya, our oldest (at 2 1/2 years old) is
going in on Saturday for blood work to see if she has adrenal.  We were
going to test for an incomplete spay, but her symptoms have become more
pronounced, pointing to adrenal: enlarged vulva, nipples stick out, balding
belly and chest (the undercoat seems to be gone), balding shoulder blades
(undercoat gone there too), fur on bottom of tail almost non-existent,
aggressive toward her sister, Nina (and she did some "hob moves" on
yesterday...do girls tend to do this too when they are adrenal?)...the only
thing that pointed to incomplete spay was the vulva & nipples.  My vet
wanted to wait till the end of the season (October - when they are due for
their shots) because she suspects a "seasonal hormonal thing"...I like this
vet a lot, but I feel kinda weird about her theory.  She thinks Miya is too
young to have adrenal (of course, I know better, with some ferrets showing
symptoms at 9 months old).

So the reason I'm here is just to share my sorrow...and let you all know
that no matter how lucky you think you & your kids are, it can happen to
you in a matter of months.  BTW, Miya is MF, fed on MF food up until
9/99 when we brought Rascal home, then it was Iams Kitten & MF, then TF,
Eukanuba Kitten, and MF, now it's Superior Choice, TF, and Eukanuba Kitten.
All the other kids (3 other MF's) are healthy and fluffy (two of the three
have their seasons switched) and silly as ever.  They've had free roam of
their room since the 4th of July weekend, we rarely have the lights on in
their room and we leave the blinds open (for natural lighting).  I've been
wanting to take some GCFA shelter kids home soon, but with Miya probably
needing surgery soon, I'll have to wait before I can take some older kids
home.

I'm behind on the FML's - currently I'm reading Monday 7/17's - I hope
everyone is well and I send my condolences to those with sick, injured, or
departed babies.  I will post when we get some answers - probably sometime
next week.  I expect to hear she has adrenal and schedule the surgery in
the near future.  Keep us in your thoughts...

*hugs n' dooks*

Amy & the fab four (plus one doggie)

==
Visit Amy & Jason (along w/ Miya, Nina, Rascal, Jack, and Koty) @
http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/park/9394
Amy's non-work ;O) email: [log in to unmask]