From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:34:23 -0600
Hello All,

I will warn you, I am more than a little upset about something I have read
on the FML, I will try my best to contain myself, but you are forwarned.  I
normally don't read this person's posts anyway, it was mentioned to me today
and I went back to see it for myself.

On judging someone by how they look, dress, what kind of car, ANYTHING that
is appearance only, to me, is appalling.

My late grandfather retired to a small town.  He fished everyday after my
Grandma died.  He lived on social security and had very little money.  After
a bit he made friends with another little old man who fished alot at the
same place he did.  The man drove a beat up early 50's pickup, wore worn
clothes and fished with a little aluminum boat and putt putt motor.  After
fishing with his new friend for several months, he asked what the man did
before he retired.  Come to find out, the little old man wasn't even
retired, he was too busy running the store he founded, Wal-Mart.  Yep, Sam
Walton.

As for me.  My ex makes around $150K a year, gets a company car, and we
lived in a very yuppy neighborhood.  I dress now as I did then, jeans and
t-shirts and sweatshirts.

Again, the way I look has nothing to do with what I will do, who I am or
anything else.  I am a short, fat liitle broad with out of control curly
hair, that currently has 2 inch roots because I am trying to not dye it
again.  I live in my jeans.  I have worn muddy jeans to school because I was
late, and the dog jumped up on me with muddy feet.  I don't wear makeup,
allergic to most of it.  I drive a 7 year old car that has a cracked
windshield (no time to fix it) and dents (thanks to the ex's wonderful
driving).  It ain't rusting, and I would rather spend the $1000 to fix it on
something else.  I like my car, it runs great and it is paid for.  Why do I
need a new one?

I have dated 3 guys since my divorce.  I have no desire to put out a lot of
effort on dating at the moment, because I am judged by the way I look.  Most
men wouldn't go out with me because of my weight.  And I honestly think that
those that did thought I would be easy to get into bed, because of my
weight.  Does that have anything to do with my value as a human being?  No,
but it is still a hard battle to tell yourself that it is *their* problem,
not yours.

And to top it all off, this judging of appearance was stated by someone who
received donations from this very forum to help with ferret care.  If you
won't adopt to those who might need some help, then why in the hell are you
running a shelter?  Would you meet your own guidelines?

I know many shelter owners who go without a lot to provide for thier animals.
Fine.  But to judge someone's willingness and ability to take care of an
adopted animal by the way they dress?  Oh come on.  In Houston the shelters
use a provision in the adoption agreement, if you can't pay for care, bring
the animal back to us and we will figure something out.  Even if someone can
do routine things, what if their finances change in the future and they
can't afford $1000 for treatment?  Not a lot of folks can.  And it has
nothing to do with how good an adopted family they might be.  Especially
when you are talking in ONLY possibilities.  What if the ferret never gets
sick and dies at a ripe old age?

Having money does not equate with a willingness to care for an animal.  I
have known folks who make what the ex does and would rather put an animal
down than spend money on it.  I have also known folks who would go without
for themselves in order to pay for medical care for their pets.

I am sorry, but I think that some folks might need a bit of a reality check
on this one.  After all, we are talking about animals that to many, look
mean, viscious and wild.  Ignorance.  Pure and simple.

Maggie Mae, Madder than Hell in Mid Mo