From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:25:01 EDT
I don't know where to begin.  I have had ferrets for 6 years, and I've
heard "test for ADV, test, test, and test again!"...but I didn't test
because I'm the only one of my friends who has ferrets and I didn't have
to worry about transmitting it to anyone.

One of my ferrets died in February, following a 2 week illness...the vet
couldn't figure out what was wrong, but suspected ADV.  She had sent in
a sample to the lab, and it came back a faint positive, which she said
they told her could mean positive, or could be a false positive.  Anyway,
after that ferret died, I ordered 3 Avecon tests to test the rest of my
fuzzies.

The tests came yesterday, but I let them sit for a day because I was too
afraid to know the truth.  Tonight I did the tests, and they all 3 came
up positive.

I know, ferrets can live with the ADV virus in their bodies their whole
lives and never show clinical symptoms.  I know, there's nothing that
can be done about it anyway...no treatment, no cure.  I know, there's no
point in worrying about it, since there's nothing I can do.  But I'm so
upset.

I've tried searching the FML archives and the Internet, but I suspect
that I'm too upset to be thinking rationally, I'm not finding answers to
my questions.  So, I'm sorry if this subject has been worked to death
before, but I don't know who else to ask.  I'm posting anonymously for
the first time in my life, because I'm so ashamed of this.

Here are my questions.  If someone can answer them simply, in terms a
distraught ferret mom can understand, it would be a great help.

First of all, I understand that the ADV virus can live on surfaces for
2-3 years after the ferret is no longer there.  It doesn't seem possible
to clean every single surface in my home thoroughly enough to kill it,
even if it is possible to kill it.  So, my question is, does this mean
that after all three of my ferrets have died (may it be many, many, many
years from now), that I shouldn't get another ferret for a minimum of 3
years?

Second, I took my ferrets to a professional pet photographer the other
day.  Should I contact the pet photographer and tell her to destroy all
props that my ferrets touched?  Do you think she would do this if I
asked her and paid for replacements?  Would it make any difference,
since surely her props have been around everything else she owns???

Third, can this be carried on my hands and clothes the way distemper can?
Meaning, if another ferret mom shook my hand, would she take this virus
home to her family?  If I volunteered at our local shelter, would I be
endangering the kids there?

Lastly, does anyone have any reliable information about what percentage
of US ferrets test ADV positive?  I've read estimates anywhere from 13%
to 60%.

Thanks in advance,
Depressed Mom