From:
Nicole LEXEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:05:13 -0800
Hi, I have been on the FML for about a month now.  We have four ferrets and
one of them is dying.  Our little albino female, Tessa, was at the vets
about two weeks ago.  We had been noticing weight gain.  Then about three
weeks ago, a definite heaviness around her lower stomach and a bluish
tinge.  We took her in.  She has an enlarged spleen, which is not her only
problem.  They did two ultrasounds and discovered an unidentifyable "mass"
in her spleen and four more in her stomach, unattached but fairly large.
She also has "sludge" in her gull bladder.  They said they could operate
and remove her spleen, and once inside her, they would try and get rid of
the masses.  However, she is a very tiny girl and would most likely not
make it through the surgery.  If the anesthetic did not kill her, the
surgery would.  There is simply too much to do on such a small baby.  She
is not even four years old.

We have really noticed a change since our vet appointment two weeks ago.
There is now more definition in the enlargement (can almost cup it with
your hand like a golf ball) and more weight gain.  She looks good though.
Her eyes are bright, she still chases after us for raisins, is still
eating, etc.  However, she has no patience for any of the other ferrets,
does not want to play or be jumped on (who can blame her?), etc.  She
hisses anytime they come near her.  She sleeps ALOT which I am told is
because her spleen is filling with blood and draining her system of it
which leaves her weak.  Our vet said that eventually she will hemmorage and
bleed to death internally.  It is not painful, she will simply go to sleep.
My heart wants to keep her as long as possible (I am crying, she is my
baby, and my only girl) and she does not seem to be in much pain, although
I am sure she has discomfort.  My husband says that her quality of life is
impaired and at what point does it become too much for her.  I cannot bear
to put her down yet because she is still alert and loving - how to know
when to make that decision?  Is it o.k.  to keep her until she passes away
naturally as long as she is not in any obvious pain?  Please help - one of
our ferrets (Snoopy) only gets along with her, we keep them separated in
groups of two and he is not ready to let her go either.  Everyday I say
"Snoopy, be nice to her, she won't be with us much longer and I swear he
understands.

I know this is hard to answer but my guilt over this is unbearable (should
of taken her in sooner I'm sure) and I need to know what to do.  Thanx
ahead of time.

P.S. Diane ~ I am SO sorry about Ripley, I hope he is still with you.  My
prayers are with you too.  I know this is a hard time.  Hang in there.