From:
Michelle Matta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:12:30 -0500
Can anyone help me out with impacted anal glands?

My Pookie still has his anal glands, and has from time to time seen the
vet to have them "expressed".  I'd like to know how to tell if they are
impacted enough to see a vet.  He always seems to "poof" a little,
especially when he wakes up.  I would be able to tell if he was
uncomfortable with them because he tends to drag his bottom on the carpet
when they bother him.  He's anal area looked a little "full" so I soaked
him in a tub of hot water.  Seemed to have lots of bubbles come out, but it
still seems as hard/large as it was before I soaked him.  I really don't
want to put him through needless surgery, but I hate to have him taken to
the vets every few weeks that he fills up.  Suggestions?  For those of your
with ferrets that have their anal glands, do they normally feel like they
have something in there?  I just don't want to assume he's "impacted" when
that is a normal thing for ferrets with his glands.

Thanks in advance

-mish